Chapter 11 ~ Shattered

Narrative POV ~

"I'm sorry Bright. But I thought you knew." Rain winced slightly. But Twilight didn't know, she had absolutely no clue. She just stood there in shock, staring at the distance, urging herself that it couldn't be true.
"And you," Rain whipped her head to Grim, her rage starting to crackle. "How dare you make my sister pregnant?! She should have at least mated with a decent wolf, not you!"
"Me? You're blaming me?! You barely know about her experience here. How are your to guess it was me?" He snapped.
"You're the only one that mated her!" She protested.
"Just a month ago this jerk wolf tried the same move! And you're calling me the blame of all of this!" Grim snarled.
"I don't believe you." Rain growled. "I'll take vengeance on you myself, since Twilight is busy waiting to give birth to your demented, retarded and screwed up pups."

The two wolves faced each other, hatred showering from the both of them. Rain lunged at him, and he dodged her. He snapped his teeth at her ear and ripped off a bit of skin. She flinched, then bowled him to the ground. He pushed her off with his hind legs, immediately taking the opportunity to push her to the ground. Grim dug his claws into her shoulder, keeping her down. She let out a whine, trying to get herself free. He clamped his jaws around her neck, strength flowing through him.
"Why... Why do you even bother keeping her?" Rain croaked, wiggling to get herself free. He clenched tighter.
"I love her." Grim blurted out, which even shocked himself.
"She'll never love you now..." Rain chocked out. She lay limp in his grasp. He immediately let go, letting her body fall to the ground. She could barely breath, the life almost seeped out of her.
"Rain!" Twilight cried, rushing over to her sister.

She pressed her muzzle into her sister's fur, drawing herself closer. She looked up to Grim, a sense of dread washing over her. "Why...? Why would you do this...?" She spluttered, tears starting to well in her eyes.
"I... I'm so sorry Twilight." It had been so long since the last time he ever apologized to someone. She didn't raise her head again, she only buried her nose in her sister's fur. He turned around, looking shamefully at the ground.
"Go bury her." He muttered. Twilight's ears pricked.
"Yes... I-I won't take too long, I promise." She swallowed, getting to her paws.
"Take as long as you want." Grim started to walk off. "Because where I'm going, you won't come."
"You're... you're letting me go?" She looked towards him. Had she heard wrong?
"Yes. Go find your family, do whatever. You wanted your freedom, now here it is." He picked up his pace.
"Grim, where are you going?" She called out. But he disappeared into the forest.

Twilight looked at her sister, her eyes widening when she saw Rain moving slightly. Rain raised her head, letting out a grunt. She frantically looked around until she saw that Grim wasn't there.
"He's gone," she let out a sigh. "What a relief." But Twilight didn't answer, merely sitting down. Sure, she was happy her sister was alive, but she couldn't help but feel that it wasn't more than a nuisance.
"Come. I have a lot to tell you." Rain rose to her paws, letting out a huff. She limped on three paws, beckoning Twilight to follow. She followed her sister.
"Bright, to be honest, there's something I didn't tell you. Mom and dad... they're gone. Hunters took them a long time ago, including their pups." Rain let out a sad sigh. Twilight felt another miserable feeling slash through her, and her heart started to truly ache. She hung her head, following Rain who started to elaborate exactly how she got here.
"I told mom and dad what I was going to do. I searched a month got you, and didn't find anything except stale scents. I... I was worried you were dead. I came back to them without you, and then we were ambushed by humans! Mom saved me, though, she shoved me in the den and they didn't scent me. They shot them and took them away, even the pups. So I continued looking for you, and I heard news about a young couple of wolves taking a den near the oaks, so I figured I would come and ask them if they saw you. But it turned out to be just you and Grim." Rain explained. Twilight didn't listen, flattening her ears against her head. She felt a kick in her stomach and winced. She knew it was from her unborn pups, at least one of them. Pain followed the kick, and she had to stop to catch her breath.
"Bright? What's wrong?" Rain stopped, several law steps ahead of her. She sprinted back, and Twilight heaved a groan and collapsed on the ground.
"I'm no genius... But I think... The pups... Are coming..." She panted heavily.
"This is no place to give birth! We have to find a den!" Rain gasped, nudging her to her paws.
"I only know of my old den..." Twilight replied.
"It's not far. Hopefully I can get you there in time." Rain grasped her scruff and, considering that she was much heavier now, dragged her across the snowy ground in a rush. Twilight hung in her grasp, half limp. All she could think of was the den.