Chapter 3

Atiri Alayth Selven

            I had just finished the first chapter of the Lycanthropy book Kiara had given me. It was pretty interesting actually. It told the myths and legends of werewolves murdering villagers and terrorizing towns. It explained the ‘truths’ of werewolves, like how they had to eat human flesh every other night. That they usually hunted in packs. That it’s hard to tell werewolves from other people when in their human forms. That the alpha male of a family is in complete control of the family. And that they had amazing amounts of strength, even in their human forms.

            I was getting ready to turn the page and read the next chapter when there was a quiet rapping on the window. I looked up to see Kiara at my window again. I couldn’t help but smile for some reason.

            I walked over and stood at the window. I debated if I should let her in or not and finally came up with a decision. I opened the window bit and said quietly, “I’ll meet you outside in a couple minutes. I’ll meet you at the market.”

            She smiled at me and said, “Alright. See you soon.”

            I watched as she slung one leg over the bar and start he climb down. I sighed and shut the door and walked out to the hall. I stood at the top of the stairs for a couple moments and thought about why she had wanted to see me today and why she had come to my window just now. I shook away my curiosities for the moment and walked down the stairs and saw Igniera talking to Raies. Breakfast had been an hour or so ago, and it hadn’t been as interesting as yesterday’s. Fais, Kana, and Lyran all seemed strangely quiet. Raies said it was because Fais and  Kana were leaving for the Holy Lands later in the afternoon. She said every time Kana went off to battle he worried nonstop and wouldn’t leave the forge except for food and sleep because that was his only way to protect her.

            Igniera looked a little worried as well, now that Fais was gone for a while. I guess war made everyone on edge. I tried to imagine losing someone I loved to this war. It was a bit hard though because I didn’t really have anyone that I loved. Maybe that would change sometime though. Maybe I would find someone that I couldn’t bear the thought of losing.

            I told Igniera I was going out to explore the city for the day and she just nodded. We weren’t going to be having any lessons today anyways. Not with the person she loved going off to war today. I assumed that the first day would be the worst and decided to leave them alone for a while.

            The morning air was cool and sky was a light orange still with big fluffy clouds. It was beautiful out, and while I would have loved to stand there for a while, I couldn’t. I had someone I needed to meet.

            Kiara was leaning up against the butcher shop as she waited for me. When she saw me coming, she pushed off of the wall and walked over to me. “Come on, we have to get out of here quickly before the rumors start. Selvens and Jaysunes aren’t supposed to be around each other without shouting.” She smiled and started walking down an almost empty street.

            When I caught up to her I asked where we were going and she looked over at me with a smile playing along her lips. “There’s this place I like to go to.” She took a left down a completely empty alley that led to the wall that encompassed the city. She looked around her for a moment, as if she was searching for something specific.