Chapter Five: The Mafia

The alarm blared noisily and I reached out to hit the snooze button but ended up knocking it off the side table. 5:30 am. It continued to ring and I groaned, realizing that I would have to get out of bed to turn it off. I was barely awake but I noticed that my left eye was twitching.

{Wake up. We've got company.}

{GET OUT OF MY HEAD!}

An alien sensation tingled through my mind and a strange voice brushed through my thoughts.

{Hmm! You've got a cute butt.}

I raised my head and looked over my shoulder. Maria was at the foot of my bed. I peered down and realized that my blanket had been pulled off and my briefs were riding low, leaving the top of my sickly white butt bare. I panicked and began to search for the blanket when she invaded my mind again.

{You should probably cover it up now; if I see any more I'll puke.}

I sat up and glared at her smug expression. I scanned the room for Edwin and realized he was probably in our bathroom. I still felt unsteady so I knew he was still lurking in my head. There was this sensation of mental crowding that I'd learned to associate with his telepathy, and It was made even worse with Maria's involvement.

"Guys could you please keep the mind-talks for emergencies? You're giving me a headache." {You didn't lock our door, and you left me virtually naked so she could see my butt right?} I added for Edwin. {Alyssa is the only girl who should be allowed to see my butt. And she hasn't.}

Ed's mental voice seemed apologetic {She ambushed me. I was only in a towel, so self preservation kicked in. Plus she can hear you.}

{I know.} Edwin started laughing in my head so I imagined a middle finger and slid out of bed. I found the duvet on the floor and picked it up, wrapping it around me. I found my jeans nearby and clumsily pulled them on. Partially clothed, I turned to Maria.

"So apart from spying at my behind, is there any other reason why you've chosen to invade our privacy?"

"Robbie asked me to make sure everyone is awake and preparing to leave by six."

Looking at her all dressed up in jeans and a flirty blouse, I blurted out the first thing that crossed my mind.

"Do you have a crush on our dearest 'Robbie'? Or are your boobs part of the mind-trick?"

She scoffed. "I ought to wash your mouth out with soap but I'll be the mature person here and ignore your provocation."

She turned and left. I smirked. It pays to be a little...Wong sometimes. Edwin poked his head out of the bathroom.

"Is she gone?"

"Yeah. I faced Medusa and ran her out, unlike some cowards I know."

"I'm a gentleman."

I snorted at him and went to take a bath.

We huddled together outside the administrative block, wishing we were still in bed. Everyone was dressed sensibly in boots, sturdy jeans, t-shirts, jackets and the occasional baseball hat. Everyone except Lily, who was dressed like she was going to the beach with a pink shirt, knee-length loose shorts, a sun hat and pink flip-flops. Roberto drove up to us from the school's parking lot, took a head count, handed each one of us a book and ushered us into his Chevrolet.

"Where's Pierre?" He asked once we were all settled. When he saw that no answers were forthcoming he turned to Edwin. 

"Can you find out why Pierre isn't here yet?"

"I'll try." Edwin put his hand to his temples and closed his eyes. I thought he was just being dramatic; he could do a mental communication without looking like a TV psychic. After a few minutes, he replied. "He says he's not really comfortable leaving the Tower. He sends his apologies."