Chapter 51

Albus came to tell her the news himself. It was cool evening. She'd heard already of course but was anxious to hear from the great wizard.

"Is it true?" she asked upon opening the door.

"It is." He swept through the door and into his usual chair, the purple one among the two cerulean pieces. Elena had relented years ago and purchased an additional seat for her visits from Donal with either one of his children or Albus Dumbledore as company.

"What happened?"

The man unsteadily poured himself a cup of tea and shook his head. She'd baked lemon biscuits in anticipation of his arrival, but he didn't seem to see them. "I'm not entirely sure yet. From what I gather, Tom went after the Potter family and murdered James at the door. Lily, I think, sacrificed herself for her son. And the killing curse cast on the child rebounded, hitting him instead."

Elena sobbed drily into her hand. She was not a mother herself but had helped Donal raise his children as much as she dared since he'd entered her life. His grandchildren called her Nana Elle and she doted on them. "The boy?"

"He's alive. Orphaned, but alive." Dumbledore shook his head again. The usual sparkle in his true-blue eyes was missing and he looked even older than his century age. He looked ancient and tired beyond words.

She didn't want to ask the next, felt it was callous and selfish in the face of the tragedy the infant child faced, but she had to know. "Is he... gone?"

The flinch in the old man's eyes cut at her heart. "I'm not sure. I have suspicions, but nothing I can say for certain yet." He looked up at her. "I do not think he is fully gone yet, but I do think that, for now at least, we are safe."

The flutter of hope she'd felt at originally hearing the news battled terror in her core. "How long do you think?"

"I can't say. I'm sorry for that, Elena. I wish I knew more." He draped an arm around her shoulders, leaning his withered frame toward her. "You should live while you can. Enjoy your freedom."

"If he comes back and finds out—"

"Do not marry, do not birth children. You need not do either if you're afraid," he gently reminded. She nodded slowly.

"That is something." She smiled into her lap. "It's more than I ever thought I'd have. I—I'm grateful."

She told Donal that evening when he stopped by for dinner. It was a tradition between them. She would not live with him, but she always ended her day with him there. They would eat, talk, sometimes exchange kisses while they watched the evening lengthen before them. In the morning he would come for tea, so their days would start together too.

"What does this mean for us?" he said gently, not wanting to push this woman he adored too far.

She laid her head against his arm, let out a considering breath. "We can't marry. We can't have children; I'm getting old for it anyway. But we can be together for now."

Donal wrapped her in an embrace and the steady beat of his heart was soothing against her ear. "That's enough for me. Having you in my life is enough."

"You've been too patient for me," Elena murmured. "Most men would have given up, found someone who could share their home and their bed by now."

His chuckle was sad, but warm. "I had the perfect woman once. She was my everything and she gave me beautiful children to adore long after she was gone. I never thought I'd find someone else who could fill my heart the way she did. I wasn't going to let you go without a fight just because we had some restrictions. Carnal pleasures are wonderful, but nothing to being able to walk alongside you for the rest of my life. And if we have only a short time to enjoy one another physically?" He shrugged. "We'll make the most of it."