Chapter 32

His obedient pet. Upon entering the dungeon room where he held his meetings, Tom conjured up a winged chair and sat back against the green and cream velvety material. Elena stood awkwardly before him, still in her school uniform minus the robe and vest. He appraised her slowly, from the neat bun her pale brown hair was swept into to the patent leather of her Mary Janes, then held out his hand expectantly. A smile crossed his lips as she placed her own on it and allowed herself to be pulled between his knees.

"Have you thought about what you'd like to do after you graduate?" he asked, thumb rubbing circles on the back of her hand before releasing it.

By the startled expression, he assumed that was not at all what she expected. "Yes, some." When he just stared at her, she went on. "I think I would like to go into law, become a solicitor eventually."

"Really? You are so honest though."

She rolled her eyes. "Yes, well. I'm not going to be the one in the courtroom."

Tom nodded, then ran his fingers down her side. Elena startled slightly, laying her hand on his thigh for balance. When realized what she'd done, she tried to pull back as though she'd been burned, but he caught her small hand, laid his own over it. "Don't," he said. "I like when you touch me." He tugged her closer, encircling her waist and leaning forward to touch his lips to her ear. She was already trembling, and he smiled before placing a small kiss on her cheek.

"Is this why you called me here?" she said in an oddly strained voice. "I would hate for you to get yourself in a heated state again, especially right before a meeting."

Tom sighed and sat back again. "No, and you knew that. Stop being a brat." He waved a hand and his journal flew into it. "I wanted to discuss your future with you. I've already done so with the others. Based on your recent performance in classes and what I suspect your NEWTs scores will be, becoming a solicitor is a solid choice. Depending on what firm you join— you will be joining a law team? Good— that could prove advantageous for our goals. I'll expect you to join a team with someone who has political potential, influence. What?" He tipped her face toward him, taking in the thin line of her lips.

"You seem to have forgotten that I am not one of your Knights," she said evenly. "I will not need you to keep to our— our deal after Hogwarts, Tom. With a job, I should be able to provide for my father without Cassandra's assistance."

Tom rolled his jaw, considering both her words and her face. "You forget that's not your only secret."

"If you come forward about my prophecies, I come forward about what you are."

He laughed, a short, sharp sound that caused the girl to flinch in his embrace. "Oh, sweetheart. You would have made a dreadful Slytherin if you think that'll deter me. Afterall, that you knew and did nothing makes you complicit in my crimes."

"You cannot possibly expect me to—"

"How will you reveal me for what I am when you seem to have forgotten yourself?" He held her chin firmly, voice going flat, and her eyes widened. "Do you need another lesson? Hm?"

"No," she breathed, only belatedly adding, "my lord."

"Good." He released her face and began paging through the journal on his lap, one arm still holding her in place. As he reached the page he was looking for, Tom stroked his finger over the figure eight of the serpent inked onto it.

The girl peered over it curiously, apparently recovered from her moment of fear. "What's that?"

"It's my Mark. Do you like it?" he asked, smirking as her eyes traced it.