Prologue

**DOUBLE UPDATE--PROLOGUE AND CH 1 TO BEGIN WITH!**

--------------------------------------------

1 year ago

Kalos Region

With a snarl of frustration, the man shoved his tablet from his deck, taking papers, and small gadgets and pens with it. He seethed, pressing his knuckles to his temple as he tried to understand why-- why he couldn't overcome the error in his work; his calculations? He had slaved for years trying to uncover the method to make the world a better place, and, yet, for all the things he had made and the ways he had improved the lives of his people, it was not enough! They were still ungrateful and greedy and cruel ! No matter what he did, people still stole, killed, and raped, and suffered. The beauty of the world was slowly, but surely, being weathered away by the greed of humanity. Even Pokémon had begun to be tainted by the infection, and he could do nothing .

No invention could solve it.

Words did even less.

Was there truly nothing that could end this madness? That could purify the world and envelop it in endless beauty? The glorious goodness that he had seen once so long ago, but now could barely recall--like the wisp of a dream forgotten in the morning. It was endlessly frustrating, and he was at his wits end. He knew something was missing--one small, little thing, yet what could it be? He was one of the most brilliant minds throughout the region or even the world, second only to Professors at times, and yet the answer eluded him. There was no equation or machine that could solve it, so then what? What !?

"Dammit all!" he snarled, slamming his fists onto the table. He seethed in his chair, ready to pull the red locks from his head. It would have been a more fruitful venture than this one. He refused to surrender, though; to allow the world to fall to ruin. It would be a denial of who he was, and he couldn't let this waning place down like this. It deserved to be beautiful and pure; deserved to be free of the black malice of sin. He simply needed to try harder--to seek new, unknown methods.

Which ones, though? Kalos was the pinnacle of most technology, and yet all of it failed him. What was he missing?

"Where am I going wrong?" he rasped, eyes squeezing shut as if in pain.

"Why, it's quite simple, my good man. You're looking for answers in the wrong direction."

His eyes shot wide open, and then he stood up quickly, tossing his chair over. A gasp tore from his lips as he watched a black mass appear in the center of his room. The air crackled and shook; books falling from the shelf as power flooded from the mass. He could feel the raw energy in his bones and his instincts told him to run, but his feet were frozen to the metal floor. He could scarcely breathe as the blackness took on two shapes, both humanoid, though one was clearly a Pokémon by its malformed structure and long, sinuous tail. He vaguely recalled the creature, having heard of it some years before when he was a younger, but the other figure? It was surely a mortal man, and yet the air about him was strange. Different. Even his eyes seemed to glow with some hidden energy he couldn't quite fathom.

It both terrified--and intrigued him.

"Who--?" he began as the black mass began to fade. The Pokémon became clearer, and although its colors had become dark and muted, he would not mistake such a legendary creature. "It can't be--Mewtwo? But--it--you--who are you ?"

The man laughed, though there was no trace of humor or friendliness to his tone. His dark eyes were cold and matched the ebony color of his hair. It was a stark contrast to his pale skin, and though he was of far shorter stature with arms folded behind his back, his aura was imposing. He could very well be as tall as the towering mountain man of legend even though he barely came to his shoulder.