The Christmas Elf

December 24 - Christmas Eve

One day till Christmas...

A few days before Christmas, Donnie locked himself inside his lab as he did every year, only coming out to head out on his scavenging trips or to stop by the building. He always seemed to be on edge, becoming incredibly snippy with whatever brother tried talking to him when he was heading back to the lab or out of the lair.

Mikey still hadn't figured out what was going on with his brother and all the explanations his mind was giving him only made him more confused. He had so many questions and yet no answers.

Even Icecream Kitty was stumped.

By the time Christmas Eve came around, Mikey couldn't take not knowing what was going on anymore.

Realizing there was no way he'd get any information from Donnie, he decided to go to the only other person who knew of Donnie's activities.

"Hey, Splinter?"

The wise rat opened his eyes and glanced over to his youngest son who he could tell was dying to ask him something, the curiosity filling his gaze and the way he played with his fingers two very obvious signs of this.

"Yes, Michelangelo?"

"If I ask you something, can you be honest with me?"

"How honest?"

"Like, super-duper mega honest."

"I see. You mean like the time you came in here asking if leprechauns were real but then became upset because I told you an answer you didn't wish to hear?"

"I was hoping you'd tell me Leo was wrong!" Mikey stated, a pouting look covering his face before he remembered why he'd come in. "But... Yes, honest like that."

"What is on your mind?"

"Donnie is sensei."

"Michelangelo, I have already told you that it is not my place to tell what your brother does not wish you to know."

"I know." Mikey replied hesitantly. "But I don't understand it. He spends hours locked up in the lab, working on some important project that he doesn't want the rest of us to know about. Then once he's finished, there's nothing cool to see! Ever. And he's always avoiding us and snapping at us before Christmas time and keeps sneaking out to spy on kids and-"

"Spy on kids?" Splinter questioned.

Mikey paused and explained. "Well, not spy on kids exactly but he keeps studying their bedrooms. I've been following him and he always goes to this building-"

"You were following your brother?" Splinter demanded, his disapproval clear in his tone.

"I had too!" Mikey insisted, not wanting his father to be upset with him. "Sensei, I have no idea what's going on with my smart bro and he always seems so angry and stressed and I'm worried about him. I was hoping to figure out what he was doing on my own and help him but D is a really good ninja and - like - super sneaky."

An amused grin appeared on Splinter's face when Mikey proceeded to cover his face and peer around the dojo like one of the characters from his tv shows. Walking up to him, Splinter straightened his son, quickly wiping the smile off his face and replacing it with a thoughtful expression.

Touching his son's plastron over his heart, Splinter saw Mikey's curious gaze follow and he stated. "Your heart is in the right place, Michelangelo, but that does not make your actions right."