Chapter 2 : Run

Sorry about the delay. Hopefully should be uploading every few days from now one =)

Please Comment and Vote (if you like!)

Thanks for reading! Much Appreciated! =)

Copyright © 2011

********************************************

Step after step.

Breath after breath.

My feet pounded the pavement.

Pushing harder. Running faster.

How? My mind asked quizzically.

At that very thought I stopped dead. Realisation raged through me, so violently that I could hardly feel my any other emotions. I felt my body shudder uncontrollably, up through my arms towards my fingertips, as if something was trying to escape. Just like me.

What have you done? That silly voiced asked quietly.

Ragged, uneven breaths ripped through me, catching me off guard. Lungs screaming for oxygen as my head considered my impossible actions, I couldn't seem to concentrate on breathing.

As I leant over, hands on my knees for support, I managed to slow my hyperventilating state, slightly. With a sudden deep intake of breath I caught a repulsive smell, sewage and something possibly a little bit dead. I took a slow look around at my surroundings.

Shit.

I was in the worst part of town. A place that I'd only driven through in a taxi, and never actually walked in. A part of town where people go missing and are almost never found. Where people go to disappear, and are usually successful. Where you can be stabbed, mugged and shot in the same night. It was almost like a different town, so different from its sister just a mile away.

I moved quickly, letting my instincts take over. My mind told me to not attract attention to myself, and move swiftly through the shadows. If I didn't get out of this area soon, I'd get myself lost, darkness was descending fast. I'd always been afraid of the dark.

A huge clatter behind me stopped me dead in my tracks, then a furious blast of ice cold wind wound around me, like an angry tornado, raising the hairs on my neck. Fear muffled my attempted at a scream, a ragged gasp was all I could muster.

Don't look. PLEASE! The voice pleaded urgently.

My body rarely listened to my head, and I felt myself turn instinctively to the noise.

Nothing.

The road up ahead was empty. Not a soul to be found. Empty shop fronts and boarded up windows stretched along each side of the street that surrounded me, each shop unit was murky and covered in dust from years of neglect. Seemed like a popular theme in this neighbourhood.

It was as if something flashed within me, my legs began to move once more. A dull ache rippled through my legs, working its way up. But at that moment I didn't care, I just had to move.

After minutes of flat out sprinting, relief washed over me as I suddenly emerged on a bright street I recognised. The functioning streetlights indicated that my chances of being murdered reduced slightly. I mean there was that chance wherever you were right?

As if was waiting for this very moment, my stomach growled with fierce, impatient hunger. I'd forgotten to eat at work, and been a little distracted in that last hour. I glanced at my watch, it was only 6'oclock, most restaurants would be open. The first thing I needed to do was eat.

The main high street was made up of several possible places to eat, I had no preference, just as long as it was food I'd be happy. Out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of a McDonald's. My inner voice seemed to do a happy little dance at the idea of a big fat greasy burger. Fine, whatever.