Chapter 3: Sanctuary

This chapter is dedicated to SimplePurity for her amazing story 'Unruly Games', its truly awesome! Check it out!! :)

Feedback would be much appreciated. I had the worst case of writers block for so long!

Please vote, fan or comment (if you want!) 

:)

________________

The icy chill of the heavy rain clung to every part of me, wrapping me in a horridly claustrophobic envelope aided by the darkness.  A wave of shivers involuntarily ripped through me. The phrase soaked to the bone wasn’t even close, every negative emotion seemed to be flowing through me. The tiniest thread of hope was preventing my complete breakdown, mental and physical. A tiny hope that I could find safety. 

I stared up at the dark, lifeless building. My stomach fluttered nervously, in a matter of minutes my fate would be decided. I pulled my thin coat tighter as a vigorous wind cascaded wildly around me. 

Whispers began deep within me. As each one crossed my mind, another would succeed it. An everlasting trail of thought.

The electric purple door barely stood out in the poorly lit front yard. A small flickering bulb partially lit the top of the steps. I stood at the bottom, willing myself to move.

 Oh for goodness sake. Will you get up those steps and knock on that ugly door! You are going to get pneumonia if you carry on standing here like some crazy bag lady.  Came an unexpectedly angry comment from that little voice.

 Tears gushed down my face as I took a slow calculated step forward. My earlier sense of confidence in this being a safe place seemed to be vanishing quick.  I got a quick waft of freshly cooked curry, my stomach reacted instantly, with a furious hunger.

 Another step, another tear.

 The final step had me left inches from the door, I raised my hand slowly, and took a deep breath, taking in the curry scent and rain, a strange combination.

 Light stunned my eyes as the door burst open. My eyes stung with the sudden brightness, pain shot through them like lightning. I cowered back behind my hands, like some crazed vampire from the morning sun.

 ‘Sofia?’ came the soft quizzical voice. I could hear the confusion or surprise in his voice, I couldn’t really tell which.

 Squinting, I looked up slowly. In the doorway, his silhouette stood tall and wide, just as always.

 ‘Rafe,’ I sighed quietly. I felt a part of my soul instantly relax, the fact that he wasn’t screaming or running was an amazing first sign.

 ‘What…erm, do you realise the time? Is everything….’, he twittered quickly, not really knowing what to say. He took a step forward, and my body moved backwards so quickly before I even knew I’d done it. 

 ‘Can I come in?’ my voice was so small and weary I barely recognised it.

 ‘Of course’, he breathed gently. 

 As I moved forward I saw his slender bronzed face for the first time, his big brown eyes were filled with confusion and worry. His short dark curly hair was more dishevelled than normal, and his clothes were all creased. If I didn’t know any better I’d say that I’d just woken him up.

 He stepped back, pushing himself against the rain sodden door. I glanced at him as I heard him swear under his breath, it was very unlike him. I slowly eased past, the wall of glorious heat that met me swirled around like a thick comforting blanket as I entered the hallway.