Nadine

Nadine left the demolished buildings behind and kept walking. Her thin body shivered in the January cold, but she barely noticed.

For the first time, the girl reached the outskirts of the little town. Ahead was an endless valley followed by a long, lonely road. She stopped walking and closed her eyes, only to let the afternoon breeze blow past her golden skin – though it felt like the air was in reality entering her shaking body. Nadine unwrapped the headscarf from her head and let the wind take it away. Her long hair slithered down her back, to her waist, straight and black, as the draught combed it again for the first time after three years. She looked at the clouded sky and tried to remember what rain had felt like in her hair.

She smiled at the thought of freedom and softly closed her eyes. No one would judge her anymore for what she believed in.

The image of her beloved parents and baby brother flashed before her eyes. She instantly felt her cheeks warm but that was nothing new. In civil war grief was constant. And within the last month, the series of unpredictable bombings of their town took her family and friends away.

Nadine jumped as she heard footsteps from behind. She wiped her eyes immediately and turned around. A rather stout man was walking towards her. His hair was short-trimmed and almost grey. Dark glasses covered his eyes, but his wrinkles were still clear.

'Hello,' he called in a loud, deep voice. 'Is anyone there?'

Nadine rushed towards the blind man to help him walk, although he seemed to be doing fine on his own. She gently took his hand.

'May I help you?' she asked in a quiet voice. 'Is there any place you need to be?'

The man grabbed her arm and pulled her close. 'I must deliver a letter,' he murmured, 'but I think I'm heading in the wrong direction.'

'You're leaving town.' Nadine looked around.

The man placed his hand on her head and stroked her hair. Old men tend to be rude at times, Nadine thought privately. But what about an old man who has lost his sight?

'Beautiful hair you've got there.'

Nadine opened her eyes wide. She almost forgot she was no longer wearing the headscarf. She pulled herself away and covered her head with her sleeves, uttering, 'Allah, Allah.'

'Allah?' The man burst into laughter. 'So, you're Muslim. Don't worry; I can't see your beautiful hair or your pretty face – I'm sure you're an attractive young lady.'

Nadine put down her hands, resting her shoulders, and sighed. She swallowed as she watched the man smirk. Something about his fake smile made her uncomfortable. She stared at him for what seemed forever. Deep down, she knew she was afraid.

She bit her lips and took a deep breath. 'Can I take you somewhere?' No matter if this man gave her shivers, she could not abandon him. He might get hurt. It was a wonder he got this far untouched.

'I thought you'd never ask.' The man stretched out his arm for Nadine to hold.

She led him back into town, one small step at a time. 'Where do you want to go?'

The man placed his free hand in his pocket and removed a little paper, which he handed over to Nadine.

Nadine took it and read what seemed like an address. Clumsy handwriting. She sighed. 'I know this street,' she said. 'It's not far from here. I can take you there.'

'Thank you.' The man grinned. 'What's your name?'

'Nadine.' She said sharply, not wanting to open a conversation with this stranger.