CHAPTER TWO

"Sultana, are you ready?" One of the maids said as she walked into Warda's room.

"Karla, I told you to stop calling me that." Warda said as she wrapped her hijab around her head.

"Why should I? You are the wife of the most powerful man in The Coastal Region. You are basically royalty. Plus everyone calls your husband Sultan so that makes you a sultana." Karla says and Warda laughs at her remark. She is always so bubbly and always manages to make her laugh.

"So, how do I look?" Warda said nervously as she looked at her reflection in the mirror. Her light brown eyes contrasting with her Golden almond skin making her features even more refined. Her long nose beautifully sculpted and her pink lips in a smile showing her dazzling white teeth. She wore a long juggle green gown that touched the ground covering her black heels. The black hijab on her head matching the beautiful floral designs on her gown.

"Well Sultana, you look exquisitely beautiful tonight." Karla said making her feel even more beautiful.

"I honestly don't know how I would survive this hellhole if you weren't here with me." Warda said and gave Karla a huge hug.

"Well you make working for him less agonizing." Karla whispered afraid of being heard by the other maids. Warda stifled a laugh as her husband walked into the room. Karla immediately left the room.

"Are you ready?" he asked and Warda nodded.

"You look so beautiful, my queen." He took her hands into his and kissed them softly. Warda stared at him indifferently. He looked up at her and the small smile on his face faded. "I see you are still mad at me. You should learn to let go of things, especially when holding on brings you nothing but pain."

"You bring me pain!" she hissed at him as she recalled the incident from that morning.

Qassim stared at his wife and felt bad for how he behaved with her. He couldn't go back and fix it but he promised himself that it would never happen again. He reached for his pocket and pulled out a black shinny box. He opened it and smiled.

"See what I got you from my Dubai trip." He said as he pulled a beautiful gold necklace with a pendant shaped like a rose and waved it in front of her eyes. Warda sighed as he quietly put the necklace on her hand. "A rose for my Warda. You should wear it tonight at the Union's Ceremony."

"Trying to fill the void in my heart with expensive gifts?" Warda spoke and Qassim could hear the disgust in her voice. "I am not going to wear it."

Qassim watched her as she put the necklace on the drawer and sighed.

"Why do you always have to be so stubborn? Do you always have to try my patience?" He asked softly as he held her right hand in his. "You are my wife, Warda and I love you. Is it so hard for you to understand that?"

Warda chuckled and shook her head. She watched as he angrily stared at her. She lifted the hem of her hijab and showed him the purple marks on her throat. Qassim's eyes darkened suddenly and he quickly turned away. He hated what his anger made him do every time and yet he kept doing it.

"If you loved me dearest husband, you would never hurt me like this. But I don't blame you, I blame my family for marrying me off to a monster like you." Warda said. Qassim walked away unable to look at her any longer.

Was he really a monster? Maybe he was.

He knew he had anger issues and he tried seeking help but stopped eventually. He hated the Abdurahmanis, all of them and vengeance was all he wanted from them but hurting Warda had never been part of his plan. After all she -like all the women in her family- was innocent but Warda was stubborn and her stubborness always got her in trouble with him. She knew being quiet would help save her from his wrath but she was never the submissive type.