CHAPTER NINE

No birds had sung in quite some time. Earthworms were too frightened to leave the soily comfort of the dirt and foxes were a rarity these days. The woodland road was quiet, the only noise to echo outwards being that of the rustling of leaves as the trees on either side danced for no one. The tranquil atmosphere that came with such an idyllic country road was interrupted by the screeching sound of tires. The truck shuddered to a halt, shunting its contents forwards rather violently. The two soldiers sitting in the front seats turned to look at one another, confusion painted on both of their faces in the form of grimaces and arched eyebrows.
Muttering something in German, the man behind the drivers seat grabbed the keys and attempted to rev the truck back to life, however what followed was simply a cough and a splutter. The vehicle had well and truly admitted defeat.
The two of them exited the truck, paying little attention to their weapons left sitting on their seats as they made their way out to the back of the vehicle to see what the problem was.
Their answer came in the form of the barrel of a gun pressed right against the sweaty bridge of the drivers nose.

Without hesitation, the chamber clicked into life and the silencer activated. The two Nazi soldiers were dead before they hit the ground.

A hiss, distinctly irish, came from beneath the truck as a grime covered Benson crawled out from under it. A pair of well-worn pliers gripped tightly by his left hand.

"What was that for. Michaels said only when necessary. We could've questioned them about the deathwalkers"

Jones lowered his pistol, using the sleeve of his jacket to wipe the blood off its silencer. He shrugged.
"Sick of the Krouts. We been living round 'em for far too long now. Gotta let off some steam every now and again"

Benson tutted, grabbing the body.
"it's only been round two weeks or so"

Jones grunted "two weeks too fucking long if you ask me".

Benson threw the two bodies into the back of the truck, taking a moment to survey their spoils.

Boxes of food, ammo and other various pieces of equipment, all theirs for the picking.

They both made short work of it, grabbing the items they could in the short amount of time that it would take the Nazi command base a few miles further to realise something was amiss.
Once they'd plundered what they could they left, tailing back the way they had come on foot with two large bags full of necessities.
"Let me remind you" Benson started up, "That it was I who drew the short straw and had to hold on for dear life under that thing for almost 5 miles! Don't go complaining to me about living"

Jones clenched his fist. They'd been living in close proximity to one another for a while now, and in that time they'd allowed themselves the occasional fight or two. For the most part they had Michaels and Abigail to keep them in check, however in times like these were it was just the two of them, it took all of Jones strength not to land a sucker punch right in his big Irish face.

The sound of ammo clinking back and forth in its own wooden box followed them, becoming their own sort of rhythm beat to march to as the pair of soldiers diverged from the gravel main road and into the dense undergrowth of nature and woodwork that was the forest. It was a small forest that much was true, but a beauty of flora nonetheless. More importantly however, it served as brilliant cover from any incoming Nazi vehicles.

"cant believe the searg has got us robbing supply trucks like petty thieves" came Jones.

Benson sighed
"Not even you can say with confidence we're a proper match against a barrel of Nazis in a truck. Plus, with this 'ere shit we got, we'll finally have enough stuff to make it back to base in one measly piece"