CHAPTER EIGHT

A chorus of voices echoed from within the bunker of Yosemite Square as two pilots finally made contact.
"Gold Base do you copy over" came through the makeshift radio, staticky and almost unintelligible. The receivers button was pressed down and sparks flew as the improvised contraption attempted communication
"Loud and clear over" came the voice of Alice Fletcher. She leaned in to the microphone and radioed back
"Come in Gold Leader. Do we have confirmation of interception over"
A beat, as radio transmissions were being sent at high speed.
Alice took a sip from her mug, a bitter tasting coffee that spent more time making her gag than it did keeping her up, supplies were low however and this was the best she could do before the morning run.
She'd been stationed there since the second full day of their lockdown, manning the makeshift desk sitting at the front, adjacent from the elevator. At first it had seemed like a huge honour, and Alice had accepted the position with excitement. Lately however she had come to see it for what it really was, a glorified receptionist role. Alice felt like nothing had changed, even in their post-apocalyptic scenario, she was still seen as nothing more but the pretty young thing behind the desk. Nowadays she sat there, doodling in her notebook and communicating with any of their men sent out there for supplies. Though these days she found she was doing a lot more doodling and a lot less radioing, as most of the men sent out never got very far.
Static. Noise now as the radios lit up
"Interception successful Mrs Fletcher. Package is secured. Rendezvous 2 minutes out"
Alice pumped her fist into the air and let out a quiet cheer.
This caught the attention of the rest of the bunker, eyes moved over to hers and the General came charging over
"Miss Fletcher"
"General Sharpe"
More of the officials began to move in, and soon her desk was now crowded with old white men trying to do her job.
"We need to make contact with Gold Leader again, bring them back" said General Sharpe
Dr Malkins, seen peering over everyones shoulder exclaimed, "Ask them if they've acquired the package!"
Alice turned around to face them all, "they have, they have. Everything is fine and they are on their way ba-"

Static and muffled noises as more transmissions from Gold Leaded began to be received.
"We m ay have a slight problem out here gold base over"
Professor Hale, another one of the older gentlemen who all but preferred to be in charge barged past Alice and grabbed the microphone.
"Repeat Gold Leader repeat. What seems to be the problem" Alice's heart leapt as the watched the cords and wires groan and stretch under the pressure of the yank, if Marcus had seen how his baby was being treated she was she he'd have had a few choice words for them all.
Thrust aside by them all, she was cast out. Her own comfortable boring desk now a hive for people deemed more important than her. Alice heard the familiar sound of the static transmission from the radio and held her breath, preparing for the worst.
"Mayday mayday I repeat mayday. Intel was wrong, the tripods still scour the city. We're attempting to flank around them but they've seen us over"
Bated breath now from the entire square. General Sharpe stepped back, hand on his head and tapping his hip with the other.
"Just get the package to us now over" cried Hale just a little too loud into the microphone. A small moment of unsure silence and then one last buzz of static from the radio receiver.
"No orange coming from the vessel this time. A sort of deep blue ring. Don't know what it-"
And just like that ended the last transmission from Gold Leader. The transmission went dead and the lights on Marcus's makeshift radio receiver went dead.
Alice turned and left the room as the men began squabbling with each other, bringing up half laid plans and pulling out large pieces of paper with scrawled on text. This was the most excitement she had had behind this dull desk in days, and she'd just lost it all.
In the last two weeks they had made almost zero progress. Large machines from origin unknown were destroying their beautiful planet up above and man couldn't take the time out of their day to stop arguing, sort out their differences and win this new breed of war. It made Alice sick.
She left the large square room that had been designated as the war room and walked through the corridor off to the side.