Chapter 5 A: The Aftermath

Chapter Five

Chalcedony stood before Legacy's entrance with Elizabeth's arms wrapped around her neck and the girl's legs clinging awkwardly around her waist.

One of the two sentries at the door gasped when she saw Chalcedony carrying Elizabeth. However, both were immobile. Chalcedony cleared her throat, and the sentries quickly opened the door. They were just for show. Legacy wouldn't allow anyone to enter if they didn't have permission to be there. But soldiers who lost control as easily as these needed more training. Chalcedony made a mental note to have Djamel replace them.

She stared at the open door. She felt like a child sneaking into the house, hoping her mother wasn't awake.  

“Are we going in?”Coal asked, eyebrows arched.

Mouth dry, Chalcedony nodded, and shifted Elizabeth to her other shoulder. The girl moaned but stayed asleep.

They were almost to the stairs that led to her room. For a few blissful moments, Chalcedony thought she’d get through the night without having to deal with Madoc.

“Child, you almost missed the door,” A familiar voice in the darkness, stopped Coal dead in his tracks.  

“We made it in plenty of time,”Chalcedony said, turning towards the voice.

Madoc sat in a chair in the far corner of the dark room with a book in his lap. His eyes were incredible, even for an elf. He could read in complete darkness, where most elves could only make out shapes.

“What do you have in your arms?”Madoc asked. He snapped his fingers and the fire lamps came on.

No point in lying. Chalcedony shifted so Madoc could see Elizabeth's face.

Suddenly, he was standing right in front of her. She had never seen him move so fast. But that was Madoc. He never let you know what his true strengths were.

“This is the reason you were so anxious to go to the human realm? You wanted to steal a human child?”he asked. The words came so quick she could barely understand him.

“I didn't steal her. She wanted to come.”

Madoc pointed a finger in her face. “That does not mean you take it home with you. Humans are not even allowed here unless royal permission has been granted.”

Chalcedony took a deep breath. “I give the royal permission.”She turned and began ambling up the stairs to her room.
“You are not above the law, Chalcedony!” Madoc screamed.

Chalcedony stopped, waiting to see if Madoc had awakened Elizabeth. He hadn't. She snored as if she were in her own bed instead of being held awkwardly in Chalcedony’s arms.

“I did not break any laws,”she said calmly. She couldn't remember the last time she'd seen Madoc so angry. He'd always told her anger was a sign of weakness.

“Chalcedony!”

“Madoc, I'm tired,”Chalcedony whispered. “We can argue about this tomorrow.”

“This won't take long.”

Chalcedony grimaced. His tone had changed. He sounded more worried than angry. Damn. It was much easier to walk away from anger than concern. “Coal, will you take Lizzy to your room until I come for her?”

“Of course, Princess,”Coal said stiffly as though he were a servant. She hated when Coal changed in front of Madoc. He seemed to fold into himself and become a shadow of the person he truly was. Once Coal and Elizabeth were gone, she moved to the chair next to where Madoc had been sitting. He followed and sat beside her. She forced herself not to buckle underneath the steely gaze.

“Chalcedony, you're about to be queen. Instead of becoming more responsible you are becoming reckless. If you want to delay your coronation for a year or so we can probably—”

She cut him off. “We can't delay my coronation. The other queens are waiting for me to slip. A delay would be the sign that they're looking for.”Chalcedony paused, willing her breathing to slow. “I'm fine.”

She wasn't fine. She was scared. Scared to lead. Scared she would never be as good as her mother. Scared to lose her best friend. But she couldn't tell Madoc that. Madoc, despite his concern for her, only cared for Everleaf. He didn't understand fear. He didn't understand loneliness. He only existed to serve.

Chalcedony stood. “I'm fine, Madoc,”she repeated. “I know it was irresponsible to bring another human here, but you said Coal has to leave. He is my only friend. I can't give him up without having something else to take his place.”Chalcedony waited to see if Madoc would disagree. When he remained silent, she continued. “I've learned a lot over the past few years. I've excelled at every task you've given me. I'm ready to be queen. I'm ready to lead. You don't have to worry about me.”

She wasn't ready to lead, but she wasn’t strong enough to admit it out loud.

Madoc stood, book in hand. “Ready or not, you will be queen. The mystery is rather you will be the last of your line to rule.”

She fought to hold his gaze while she kept her voice from trembling. “I will be a great queen.”

“Not if you surround yourself with humans. They are weak and will make you weak,”Madoc said before he walked away.

She opened her mouth to refute his words, but he was gone before she could think of something to say. He didn't know what he was talking about. She needed something other than duty. Coal had been the only person in her life who didn't make her feel like she was supposed to be something more than what she was. The girl would make losing Coal easier.

*****

Coal awoke with the awareness that he'd overslept and was late for another session with Grigory. He turned to find Elizabeth and Chalcedony sleeping in his bed. Then he remembered traveling to the human realm and bringing back Lizzy.

He stared over Elizabeth’s head at Chalcedony and thought of the kiss that could never happen again. When they were younger, they'd often slept together, playing until they reluctantly fell asleep, but now they were older. He ran his fingers through Chalcedony's hair and she slowly opened her eyes.

“You should probably leave before Madoc starts looking for you,”he said.

A smile crept across her face. “And he kills you for having me in your bed.”

He laughed. “Well, yeah that too.”

Chalcedony stood, still wearing her human clothes and yawned. She picked up the sleeping child, and they left. It seems, Coal thought as he sat with his legs crossed on his bed, staring at the closed door, as if we never kissed at all.