Chapter 7a

Chapter Seven

The attic of Grigory's shop was small, cold, and drafty, nothing compared to his spacious room at Legacy.

He'd promised Chalcedony he wouldn't leave Legacy until after her coronation, but after spending most of the night trying to find his seed of magic, he’d decided to stay the night at the forge. 

Sleep alluded him. The thought—and the hope—that he could do magic had kept him up most of the night.

Despite last night’s failure, Coal was anxious to try again.  He sat cross-legged on the lumpy old bed, wrapped himself in a blanket to fight against the morning chill, and concentrated on nurturing his magic seed.

It was much easier to concentrate since Chalcedony had apologized. This argument had been worse than any of their other fights, and it had left him depressed and saddened. Now everything was right in his world.

After spending hours trying to find his magic seed, Coal only managed to fall asleep and not wake up until morning. Giving up, he went to Legacy to deliver Djamel's repaired sword. He could've gone directly to the barracks, but he'd gone through the entrance, hoping to see Chalcedony.

“Good morning, Legacy,”Coal said, rubbing the tree's bark.

It took a moment, but finally it said.“I guess it's a good morning. Where were you last night?

“I stayed at Grigory's shop. Was anyone looking for me?”

No.”

Coal had guessed right. Chalcedony would be too busy to notice he was gone. “Did you miss me, Legacy,”Coal asked, flattered. The tree was probably the only living thing that noticed he wasn't there last night.

It was the first time since you moved in that you were not here to say good night. I had hoped youd moved permanently.

He was about to tell Legacy that he was trying to move out, but the sound of arguing drew his attention.

“Come here!”Mireya screamed. “Come here and take your bath.”

“No,”a shrill voice answered. “Leave me alone. I want to go home. I want my mom.”

Coal walked towards the commotion. At the top of the stairs, a soaking wet Mireya was chasing Elizabeth in circles. “What's going on?”he asked.

As soon as he spoke, Elizabeth ran down the stairs and wrapped her arms around his waist.

“You come here.”Mireya stomped towards them and started pulling Elizabeth away, dragging Coal in the process.

“Hey.”He held Mireya at arm's length, more to stop from falling over than to protect Elizabeth. “Calm down. What's going on?”
“I was told to give her a bath but she keeps running away from me,”Mireya said, her voice filled with frustration.

“I don't want to take a bath. I want to go home.”
A few days ago, Elizabeth hardly acknowledged he existed. Now she was hanging on to him like he was her only hope.

“I thought you liked it here, Lizzy.”

“I want to go home. I want my mom!”she screeched.

“Why does she want to go home?”Coal asked Mireya.
“Because she’s a child who needs her mother, Coal,” she said as if the answer had been obvious.

“Of she wanted to come.  That doesn’t mean she wants to stay,” Mireya said, stepping closer and lowering her voice.”

“She poisoned me last night,”Elizabeth said, pulling at his arm and interrupting Mireya.