Chapter 11: The Date

~ANA WINSER~

I'm nervous, like visibly twitching and sweating nervous. I don't do that. I do cool, calm and collected on the outside while being twitchy and sweaty nervous on the inside. It's not like this is my first date, given the others guys I've dated idea of a date was making out in a crappy movie, but still. And how do I even know that this is his idea of a date? His mom set it up for god's sake. Not that I can talk considering my mom planned it too, but still.

Jo's trying her best to convince me nothing terrible will happen on this date but my subconscious isn't believing her. Honestly I'm not positive if what I'm feeling is nerves, excitement, or dread. Maybe my parents are right, I need more of a social life. I think I'm acting like this because I haven't actually been out in a while.

"Calm down and put the dress on,"

"What if a dress is too fancy? What if he thinks I'm weird because I'm wearing a dress? I should probably just cancel befo-"

A pillow is stuffed over my face and I immediately shut up, well aware I'm acting like a crazy person.

"Stop it. Everything is going to be fine. It's one date and you barely even know the kid so you have nothing to worry about if it goes wrong." Mother Jo ever the voice of reason. And with her short pep talk, I put the damn dress on and finish getting ready.

By the time the doorbell rings, I've majorly calmed down thanks to Jo's constant reassurances. I descend the stairs and the front door comes into view and I mentally groan. My mother has gotten there first.

"Oh my! Don't you just look so handsome! You and my Ana will make such a cute couple!" At her words, I speed up so I'm basically running, my nerves completely forgotten. Now I'm just focused on saving the poor boy, and probably myself, from my embarrassing mother.

I reach the doorway and my movement causes Josh's red face to turn towards me. I don't even look at my mother, but grab his arm and pull him out the door with a, "Hi Mom, bye Mom."

Once we get down the front steps I let go of his arm and look up at him. I'm immediately relieved that I'm not over dressed, he's wearing a fairly nice sweater and khakis. I'm also relieved I decided against the heels. I haven't stood next to him in a while and I realize that he isn't all that tall, maybe 5'7. Nothing compared to Chase's 6'0. Oh no, no thinking about him, that is so wrong.

I realize though that I haven't really saved him from awkwardness or embarrassment at all. This is equally, if not more, awkward. I have no clue what to say, and obviously neither does he. Oh boy.

We awkwardly walk next to each other on the way to the car, and he opens the door for me to get in. Well at least he's a gentleman. Chase never opens the door for me. ANA NO!

Ugh, I need to stop thinking about him. Thankfully, Josh gets in and starts the car, and the radio as well. My favorite song, Honey, I'm Good, comes on momentarily distracting me from Chase at least but not the awkward silence engulfing the car.

Until he finally says, "Well this is awkward."

And just like that the tension is broken and were both laughing.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"Valentino's, do you like Italian?"

I instantly brighten up, maybe this date won't be so bad after all. I love Italian, especially Valentino's.

~*~

Jo was right. Tonight hasn't been a disaster. In fact, it's been the best date I've ever been on, far better than any sloppy kisses in the back of a dark movie theater.