Chapter 7: The War

Chapter 7

~ANA WINSER~

I’ve never had a large fondness for Mondays, but this one is worse than most. Everything I see Chase I think about my moment of weakness on Saturday, and he has made sure I see him a lot. Though, surprisingly, he hasn’t said anything about it yet but he does keep calling me Belle. Apparently I don’t hid my irritation when he says it well enough, because he seems to get a big kick out of my reaction every time.

Thankfully it is finally lunch, so I won’t have to deal with him, especially since I have to be in the hall to help out with the club fair. Though sitting behind the baking club poster no one is going to read, waiting for no one to come sign up isn’t a much better option. Jo was supposed to sit with me but she forgot to read a whole act of Macbeth, so she’s spending lunch in the library while I’m stuck here, trying and failing to get people to sign up. I doubt girls are going to sign up for a club that is basically all about eating. And it’s not like the boys are going to join either, they probably think they’ll have to put on frilly aprons and wear hair nets or some shit like that. But, I love food, especially desert, so I’m keeping the club alive. Even if it ends up as just another excuse for me to bake a ton of cookies.

A shuffle pulls my attention to the left, and it seems I will have to deal with the subject of all my stupid thoughts for the last two days. Chase’s eyes light up when he notices me and his lips pull into that smirk that I hate and love. No Ana, you hate everything about him, no good feelings at all.

As he pulls out his seat and sits down he looks over at me, “Well, here I was thinking I was going to have to sit next to some weird girl who really likes her cake, while I try to get people to sign up for this stupid decorating committee. Instead, I got you.”

“God, can you be any more of a douche?” At least he’s such an ass he’s not making to whole hate him thing hard. Now if he would just hide his eyes, get fat, and stop smiling, everything would be perfect.

“Eh, probably, but I’m trying to impress you so I’ll have to dial it down a bit.” He said with a teasing grin tugging at the corners of his lips.

Reluctantly my lips start to curl up in response and I can’t control the small laugh I let out, making his grin get even wider, even when my laugh turns to a glare. Deciding to ignore him I turn away to eat and wait for someone to come to sign up at my table and save me from Captain Douche. But I don’t wait very long until Chase interrupts, “You know no one’s going to sign up right?”

Yes, I in fact did know that, but something about this guy made me want to fight against everything he did and said. “Yea? Doubt it. I’ll probably get more signatures on mine than you will.”

Chase’s eyes light up at the challenge and he beams over at me. “Ok then Belle, let’s make another bet. If I get more people to sign up than you do, you have to spend lunch with me for the rest of the week. If you get more, I’ll leave you alone for the same time.”

A week without the bother of Chase sounds like heaven right now so before I have a chance to think about the stupid decision, I take his outstretched hand and shake it.

“Deal.”

Chase proceeds to spend the rest of the period winking at, and flirting with every passing girl, and consequentially getting almost every single one’s signature. Meanwhile I sit there and have 3 girls walk up to my table from the club last year to sign up. And one guy asking if I had free samples.

As the bell rings Chase turns his attention to me.

He doesn’t even have to look at the numbers, he knows he has me beat.