Part 1: Chapter 1

For what felt like the millionth time this evening, Tom found himself staring down at an over-eager young woman. This particular one was a Hufflepuff— rare enough that happened— and came to just about his chin. She was pretty, if a little plump, and batted lashes framing large brown eyes as she smiled nervously.

"What you are proposing is against the rules, Miss Hornby. Surely you know that?" he said gently. Of course, the girl could hardly know rules were the last reason Tom refused her generous offer. It was one of the more forward of the night, and no doubt the reason Hornby's cheeks reddened even in the torchlit corridor. The weight of his gaze alone pushed her eyes to the floor. She fingered the pleats of her skirt, apparently at a loss. "Please get back to your dormitory before I am forced to report you. I would so dislike to see such a lovely young woman scrubbing floors or shining trophies."

Finally, after a moment of dark eyes staring into warm, the girl relented. "Well, maybe I'll see you the next Hogsmeade weekend?" she whined.

"Oh, I'm sure." His smile seemed genuine enough, and she soon stepped away, walking in the direction of the kitchens.

Tom waited until the sound of her light steps echoing through the empty corridors faded and turned to continue his rounds. There was a specific reason he was in this part of the castle, and it wouldn't do for Elyssa Hornby to find out. Her sister Olive (a Ravenclaw) was a dreadful gossip, and this would damage the reputation of some of his people. In Slytherin, a reputation was as important as family name.

He was fairly sure they'd be right around here. Not this little alcove. Perhaps... Yes. There was a slight groan behind a statue of Saint George with sword held aloft.

"You know," he drawled, "This might be why you both keep falling asleep in History. While Binns may not care, your grades certainly reflect your lack of rest."

"Shit!" The sounds of scrambling clothes and shuffling feet were followed by the appearance of two young men. Nott was flushed from their activities, steadily avoiding the gaze of his smaller companion. Avery's tie was still undone and he'd skipped a button on his shirt. They were hopeless.

"Er, hi there, Tom." Avery grinned up at him, which had the effect of making his fellow sixth-year student look about thirteen. Avery's guileless, boyish charm was an asset in dealing with those of a suspicious disposition. In fact, the boy didn't even have to try using it. He was a natural.

He shook his head at the two of them. "We have a perfectly good dorm. It's not as though Lestrange and Black would notice, especially if you put up a simple muffliato." One dark brow rose pointedly. "Unless, of course, the risk is part of the appeal?"

Nott's face had just returned to its normal color when it reddened again. "Aw, come off it. We get it, Tom, we get it." He grabbed a handful of Avery's shirt sleeve. "Let's get back to the dungeons, Freddie."

"Before you go, see that you are more discrete in your affairs, gentlemen," Tom said. "I can only do so much to protect you, and should you compromise yourselves for a little fun..." He left the threat unsaid, but the looks on the boys' faces said they understood. They both nodded and hurried away.

The prefect sighed to himself, idly fingering his wand. The two had yet to prove their usefulness, but at least he could be certain of their loyalty.

--

His two errant followers were absent from breakfast the following morning, having no doubt continued their activities in the intimacy of a four poster bed. As such, Tom decided he would sit behind the pair in the classes where they were most likely to fall asleep. This resulted in him sliding into the back row of seats in their double History session that afternoon.