I Was Late But I Arrived

/ / I W A S L A T E B U T I A R R I V E D / /

Louise looks up at him startled, "Oh...I suppose you're not here for fries and orange soda, then?" He shrugs, taking a seat in one of the booths, rubbing the heel of his palm to his eyes.

"You've changed your hair," He notes, voice sounding hoarse to his ears. When he glances up at her, she sighs and sets her notepad in one of the pockets of her apron before sitting across from him. She runs a hand through her light blue hair and bites her lip.

"Well, sort of. It's been blue for a while, since before your girlfriend bleached her hair." Her eyes widen and she makes a face Matty isn't fond of, and then corrects herself. "Ex girlfriend." He smiles thinly at her.

"You're roots are growing out." It's meant to be some sort of comeback, but he's not really feeling it and he goes to apologize as soon as it's left his mouth, but she cuts him off with a glare.

"What are you doing here, Matty? Last I checked, you where across the country." Matty gives her a look and she shrugs, "I keep tabs. Marcy likes to know you're okay. She doesn't say it outright, and maybe she Googles you when no one is looking or something, but I mention things about you sometimes and she gets a sort of small smile forming on her lips," Louise smiles before furrowing her brows and murmuring in thought, "Or it could be her on the verge of tears – shit I fucked up – wait, what are you doing here?"

"Do you know where Marcy is?" He asks, deciding not to beat around the bush, the more he prolongs this the more he hates himself.

She looks thoughtful, "Huh, I haven't seen her since yesterday," She admits. "I'll give her a ring, and I'll get you some food, alright?" He nods slightly and wonders if the lads even realized he's left yet. He notes her talking on her cell while fixing a tray of food. She nearly drops it when she gasps at something said on the other line and Matty can only imagine how the news was being broken to her. She shoves her tray onto a waiter whose nametag read as Ted. She rushes over and grabs Matty's arm, dragging him out of the diner.

"She's in the hospital," Louise says frantically. "How'd you get here?"

Matty points to a black car where one of his security was waiting. He had to beg one of them to drive him three hours across country no questions asked. Louise gasps, pulling him to the car and sliding in, "You knew," She accused.

"I thought you knew too," Matty defended, "That's why I asked you where she was – I knew she was in a hospital, I just didn't know which one," He admits.

"Do you know why she's there?" She asks, manic coating her tone. She turns to Matty's chauffeur and rattles an address to a hospital.

Matty's eyes brim with tears, it's so fucking blurry he can't even look at her properly. He rubs at his eyes, "I have an idea."

Louise grips the collar of his shirt, forcing him to look at her. She slaps him, more out of craze than actual anger, but it fucking hurts, dammit. "What the fuck," He calls and glances to his security who gives him a shrug through the rearview mirror.

She slaps him again on his other cheek in response, "You have an idea?" She repeats his earlier response with utter disbelief coating her voice, "You fucking raptured her fallopian tube with your demon seed," She yells.

Matty flinches wondering if this manic pastel haired girl was a better shot than being in the car with say, George.

-

"I can't go in," He mumbles, staring at the entrance to the hospital, eyes wide and heart pounding.

Louise looks like she's on the verge of tears when she steps out of the car. She adjusts her apron while taking a deep breath, "You made it this far, you have to care," she says in a small voice. And of course he fucking cares but he can't just walk in to a hospital, and sit there like the last few weeks hadn't happened, like this wasn't all his fault, like his girl isn't on the verge of death or some shit.