Chapter 9: The Library

*** Katie's Point of View ***

~~ A few days later ~~

"No talking in the libr'ry!" the librarian hissed at the boys in the corner. It was those same boys from a few days ago, Matt, the brunette, and the blond triplets. Honestly, they all scared me. Matt a little less then the other four but still... he was scary.

"Hello Katie!" I looked up and saw Hermione skipping towards me. "How are you today?" She set her books down and plopped into the seat across from me. 

I replied with confusion in my voice, "fine Hermione. How's Ron and the twins?"

She opened her book and smiled, "Ron's fine, missing you..." she sighed and looked back down to her book. "The twins are livid about Malfoy being your friend."

"Oh and how's Ginny?"

"Fine, once again, she hates that you're not there with her though," I nodded, going back to my Transfiguration homework. 

We sat in silence for a while. I was finishing up my Potions paper - after I had tried and failed to do my Transfiguration homework - and was trying desperately to ignore all the stares and snarky comments being thrown my way. Hermione was reading what it looked like a Potions textbook. 

"Katie?" Hermione's voice knocked me out of my dream world, "why are those boys staring at us?" She pointed over my shoulder at Matt and his group. I turned my head and saw all but one giving us the death glare. 

"They're... strange, I don't know! I bumped into them in the Common Room and now... I don't know," I sighed, gathering my things up and standing. 

"Goodbye Katie!" She sang, "I'll tell the boys and Ginny that you said hi!" 

I grinned at her, walking towards the library's exit. Before I knew it, I was face first on the floor, my books scattered in front of me, my nose and forehead bleeding. 

I looked up and saw an older girl, long black hair, cold, dark grey eyes, pale skin, and in Ravenclaw robes. "Whoops, better watch where you're going, klutz," she giggled, her gang of idiots behind her laughing and high-fiving each other.

I went to go pick up my books when she kicked my hand away. "Hey!" I heard four familiar voices yell, "leave her alone!" I turned my head and saw Goyle, Hermione, Matt and Jake running towards me. Goyle and Jake helped me to my feet, while Hermione and Matt told off the Ravenclaw girls. I stood shakily and glared at the girl, she smirked and waved off all that my "friends" had said, while turning to walk away.  All I could see was red and black when I kicked her in the back of her knee. She fell forward and cried out as her face made contact with the floor. I smirked and picked up my books, thanking the four who had tried to stand up fro me. 

I continued on my way out, but stopped as I felt a hand on my shoulder. The person pulled me into a hug and said, "you are so much stronger than any of them could ever be," I pulled back and saw Hermione smiling down at me. I wiped away the tears that I wasn't even aware I was shedding before a large smile grew on my lips. "Want to hang out with me at the lake?" she asked. I nodded and she and I started off towards the Black Lake.

I think I just gained a friend.  I smiled at the thought of having Hermione as a friend... maybe I wasn't so hated after all.