Arsonphobia -8-

This is yet to be edited. I just got to excited.

Chapter Eight

I felt something. It was sticking into my stomach and was very uncomfortable. I moved my head, creating a crinkling sound that seemed loud in the dead silence. I kept my eyes shut, just wanting to go back to bed and find out what it was later, but the real world was crashing down on me as I slowly awoke.

It was warm, warmer than usual. My vision was clouded with some sort of comforter. It was a lavender pinkish color. I rolled over, trying to wake up and clear my mind. I slowly sat up and realized I was in my room, with at least three extra blankets covering me as I lay down in my bed, dressed in yesterday’s clothes. There was a small paper under my face, which is what I had been laying on, it was a note.

Melon,

Didn’t want to wake you up, so I called Toni and asked where you lived. Brought you inside once I realized no one was home.

            I’m sorry..

The last thing was running on my mind. He was sorry; was it for not waking me up? Was it for bringing me out today? Was it agreeing with me to go to the ice cream shop, or was it because I saw my brother?

There were so many questions I had to ask myself, but in reality I was just trying not to think about my brother. I didn’t want to think about the fire, I didn’t want to think about happy memories, I didn’t want anything.

I looked around my room and sighed. Lying back down underneath the covers, I curled up into a ball and just let it all out, I cried, for I don’t know how long, and once again, I fell asleep.

Sleeping didn’t last long; I awoke myself while I was dreaming, of the fire once again. I jumped out of the bed and backed out of my room with a racing heart. Convincing myself I was safe and it was only a dream, I headed to the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water. The cool refreshing liquid ran down my throat and I gave out a happy sigh as I downed the whole glass.

I heard a loud cuss coming from down the hallway and a couple things falling. I looked around the kitchen before placing my cup into the dishwasher and heading to the office. I knocked once, then twice before letting myself in. My dad was sitting with his head in his hands as he rubbed his temples. The musky air in the room made me feel suffocated.

“Dad?” I asked, carefully taking a step back. His head snapped up and we made eye contact.

“Hi darling, why don’t you go order some pizza?” He said nicely. I looked at him confused, wondering what had him looking this bad.

“It’s not even eleven in the morning yet…” I trailed off, looking at the clock on the wall behind him. He blinked a couple times, looking down at his wrist watch and shaking his head.