Arsonphobia -6-

Chapter six

“So, what’s going on with you and my brother?” Courtney asked me. We were currently in her car, heading to my house so she could drop me off at home. When I woke up this morning I couldn’t find Bentley anywhere. Courtney had made me some breakfast, omelets, and then we just headed to my house.

I looked at her confused, “Nothing.” I alleged. She scoffed at me and looked at me in disbelief. I gave her a questioning look.

“You don’t expect me to believe that, do you?” Why would she even think something was going on? “We get you to our house, and he won’t even think about letting you sleep in my room. He practically demanded you to be in his where he could keep a ‘close watch’.”  She said, putting quotations around close watch. I just looked up at her, while she caught her breath.

“I could hear his voice last night talking to you. I couldn’t hear what he was saying, but I know he was talking.” I rolled my eyes at her finally understanding. A guy can’t talk to me unless he liked me? Gee, thanks…

“Ok, another point of view? He shows up, helps you at the bon fire. Also! At the school, when I found you, I went to get him for help and all I had to say was your name and it had him running to find you. Something is going on and don’t think I won’t find out.” She joked. I could understand why she would think something’s going on, but she didn’t know my point of view.

“And besides all that, he never opened up or really talks to anybody unless they make an effort first. I know you, and I know you don’t start conversations.” She was talking so freely like I wasn’t some fragile puppy, it was a nice change. I just nodded my head at her, and looked out the window before we reached my place.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         

I knew right when I walked into the house that I must have missed something. The lights seemed brighter and the smell of dinner was thick in the air. My mouth started to salivate as I made my way into the kitchen. My house wasn’t big, not really, but you would think so by all the people who were in there cooking and baking.

“Oh, you’re here! I was wondering when you were going to be back. Listen, we are having a small get together with a couple work friends,” My mom moved closer to me so she could whisper in my ear. “Keep your fingers crossed that your dad gets the promotion.” Understanding dawned on me.

My parents were spending way more money than necessary to try and impress some of there co-workers and boss, in hopes to get a promotion. Great. The people in the kitchen seemed to be making some sort of turkey and raspberry cheesecake.

“The caterers are staying to help set up and dish people out, isn’t that nice dear?” She asked. I nodded my head, glad to get my mind off of things. “Why don’t you go and get cleaned up, our guests will be here in about an hour or so I suppose.” I turned around and walked to my bedroom, trying to find something suitable to wear.