19

"(Y/N), are you leaving soon? You should eat first!" Mom calls out from downstairs while I continue to ready myself for school in my room.

"Yeah, I will!" I respond, staring at myself in the mirror. My uniform lays limply on me, and I pick at small pieces of lint residing on it, flicking each one away. As soon as I feel good to go, I whisk myself downstairs where breakfast already sits on the table.

"How are you feeling today?" Mom says as I sit down. Taking the first bite of food, I nod at her.

"Eh, I slept earlier last night, so I feel a bit better about waking up early today," I say between bites.

Mom looks at me with a kind-hearted expression before turning around to grab at a mug in the cabinet. "That's good."

I have the appetite to finish up what's in my bowl hastily and place it in the sink. I'm prepared to leave a lot earlier than school will start, thinking that a walk around the neighbourhood before heading to school might do me some good. I run to the front door, picking up my backpack where it sits, just about to twist the doorknob.

"I'm going to school," I call out to Mom, and she makes a sound of approval back, stirring into her mug loudly with a spoon.

As soon as I turn the doorknob and swing the door open, I plan to step out immediately, but I'm stopped by a figure. Really, it turns out that I'm seeing three figures in front of me, once I'm able to fully process what I'm seeing.

"Asa—" I start to say.

"(Y/N)—" He says at the same time.

The silence is deafening as we stare at each other. Even Mom's prior stirring, which was loud and discordant, had ceased. I look back at her, and her eyes are widened.