Six || Chains

-Art by kaags on Twitter-

It was crazy to think that five months went by so quickly. It felt like only a moment ago I was learning Nen and yet now, somehow, I was already departing my hometown to apply for my first job as a Hunter after completely mastering my power.

It was only June but there was a change of plans which led me to leave earlier than I first intended to. Since I had completed my Nen training considerably quickly I didn't have many reasons to remain in the village, other than spending time with Enri. It was Obachan's recommendation which led me to the decision that I should probably get a job and earn some more money.

In May, once I had finished my training, I surfed the web for an agency which provided Hunters with jobs. It took me a while to find one but once I did I contacted them and was offered a few jobs. I accepted the appealing role of acting as a bodyguard for a mafia organisation. I thought the job would be interesting and also a good opportunity to practice my Nen.

Saying my goodbyes to the other teens that I trained with, I got ready to board the ship. I was just about to leave until I saw Kotori approach the docks. "Lady (Y/N), I'm sad to see you leave so soon, it feels like you haven't even been with us for long."

I smiled sadly at the woman. "Yeah, I wish I could stick around longer but I need to keep myself busy." I looked down at my boots, biting my lip. "Hey, will Enri be okay while I'm gone?" My voice came out in a low whisper, cracking as I spoke.

There was silence before the maid of our family spoke up, "She'll be fine, I'm sure of it. You should just focus on your work, Enri wouldn't want you to waste your time worrying about her." Kotori patted my shoulder as I heaved a sigh.

That was one of the reasons why I was reluctant on leaving. Enri's condition had gotten much worse over time. She couldn't even see me off that day since she was still unable to stand, that's why Kotori must have went instead. But I knew I couldn't just spend the rest of my days wasting my potential in the little town while I knew my friends were off making their own money and studying hard for their futures (god knows what Gon and Killua had been doing), which was why I also felt the need to work as hard as they were. Learning Nen just didn't seem like enough, I needed to leave this town and do something.

I gave one finale hug to Kotori. Obachan approached me after the maid left. She had her hands clasped behind her back, her skin wrinkling as she smiled with closed eyes. "I've taught a lot of people, (Y/N)-Chan. But none of them ever mastered Nen as quickly as you did." I smiled at the praise. She smacked my back, making me jump forwards. "Go, see the world. Be a Hunter, my stupid girl."

I smiled at the old woman, waving as I boarded the ship. I held my bag close to me as I sat down on the large boat. I didn't have anything important in my bag, just some food, money and my camera- which was the only item that I valued. Yes, I still intended to keep my promise to my sister. I wanted to take even more photos to show her when I returned next time.

The cybershot camera was the only thing which hadn't changed about me. I was different now, I think. I no longer wore the dress of a village girl for I dressed in a more fashionable outfit which was also suitable for fighting in; it was only a white T-shirt over a long-sleeved stripy shirt tucked into a pair of grey jeans, pretty casual. My strength changed, after being taught to control my aura I learned how powerful I could really be. And the biggest change of all was I was a Hunter. The most respectable status anybody could have, I came under that category.

The ship began rotating. I looked over the side of the boat to see a few civilians at the docks bidding farwell to their friends and family on the boat. Without anybody left to wave to, I slumped back down onto the rustic wooden floor of the boat, dozing off as I moved farther and farther away from the beloved girl that I would never see again.