One || Cybershot Camera

Click

A sudden flash occurs from the cybershot camera. I lower the camera enough to look at the newly captured scenery on the screen of the small device. The sky. Clear white clouds present in the soft shade of blue. It was a beautiful picture. One I knew a particular person would appreciate. Satisfied, I dropped the camera back down, feeling it hit my hip bone as it dangled on the shoulder strap. Adjusting my cloak shawl, I turned my attention back to the situation.

Stage one of the Hunter Exam had been complete. Hundreds of this year's examinees had succeeded in running for hours without rest, with surprisingly not as many drop outs as I had suspected.

My first action after leaving that dreaded tunnel was to take a picture of the sky which I had missed so dearly because to I, (Y/N) (L/N), it will always be a beautiful sight. A smile crept up onto my lips as I finally took my eyes off the beautiful crystal-like view which stretched across the heavens above.

Returning from my thoughts, I glanced around to notice many of the sweaty examinees bent over or even lying on their backs as they gasped and panted for air. I happened to be one of the few who was completely unfazed by the endless running. Despite my young appearance, I was actually capable of a lot in terms if strength and I was glad to have demonstrated this by running the entire stage without breaking a single sweat. For once, I was pretty confident, I knew myself, and I knew I would pass the Hunter exam.

It appeared that everybody's attention switched to a bruised and beat up man who came stumbling out from the side causing commotion; claiming that the examiner we had followed was in fact an imposter. Despite the reaction of the crowd, I highly doubted this odd man's statement because there was no way a hunter would be eliminated as easily as this stranger described. And my suspicions were confirmed as the real judge had been revealed to be the original man who had led us here all along. However, what had been more intriguing to me was the person who had so boldly attacked both the judge and the imposter. Applicant number fourty-four. There was something about him which made me feel uneasy. Maybe it was the constant smug expression he wore, or the way he licked his lips in amusement, or perhaps even his posture as he was stood as if he suffered from scoliosis. Whatever it was, I had made a mental note to keep away from him.

After that short incident, it had been announced by the judge that the group will continue running, much to my dismay. And so I reluctantly followed the crowd into the mist, hoping for something more interesting to occur. If only back then I knew my hopes would eventually be granted as I was to soon meet a certain group of people who were going to bring amusement into my life. And one of those people in particular was going to give it purpose.

~

A loud groan escaped my lips while I exited the large blimp. That short nap did not make up for the ridiculous tasks of the Hunter Exam. It had been utterly exhausting getting lost in a mist, failing a cooking competition and jumping off a cliff for an egg. I certainly did not have anymore motivation to deal with another energy-draining test. The enthusiasm I had only days before had slowly disintegrated as I progressed further into the exam.

So much so that I almost face-palmed when Netero announced that the next phase consisted of reaching the bottom of the tower by seventy-two hours. It seemed like an easy quest, but the time limit of three days suggested it would be much more difficult. So wasting no time at all, I began thinking up a solution to finding a way down as quickly as possible. From the corner of her eye, I spotted someone disappearing through the stone floor and my head whipped around to see they had vanished. A trap door, I assumed. Frantically, I began mirroring the actions of others by carefully checking each floorboard for a secret way in.

I thought luck had really failed me ten minutes later when I noticed I was one of the only few who remained, still searching for a trapdoor which hadn't yet been blocked. I saw Tonpa, who I knew as the mischievous man with ill-intentions, was also still up there with me. We locked eyes for a moment and I sent him a snarl, recalling his offer of the poisoned juice (which thankfully I did not accept) during the first phase. He smirked at the look of annoyance on my face but it was instantly cut off along with our connecting gaze when I had suddenly fallen through the floor. It was a shock to me too; during my battle of glares with Tonpa I must have absent-mindedly taken a step forward onto a trapdoor.

Realisation of what had just happened struck me once I had landed on a new platform on both feet. I let go of the hem of my skirt which I had grabbed out of surprise when I fell. I took my eyes off from the tiled floor to bring my attention to the dimly lit room. Before me stood four rather odd-looking characters. Two children who appeared too young to be there, some sort of blonde teenage girl and a much older man with a briefcase. Eerie silence filled the cold room for a moment as the group of four stared back at me, who had just dropped in.

The man in the untucked white button-up shirt stared at me, bewildered, "It's a girl..." the words almost fell out of his mouth. A shorter, much paler kid beside him stared at him with an unamused expression at the obvious statement

The awkward aura of the room came to a halt once the more enthusiastic boy took a step forward with his long green boots. With an eccentric smile present on his face, he raised his hand with such excitement as he extended a finger to himself, "Hey, my name is Gon!" His bright smile never left his face as he continued to introduce his friends. "This is Killua, Kurapika and Leorio!"

I took a moment to look at each of the new faces, my eyes particularly lingering on the blonde one for a second too long. Other than Gon, none of them seemed too interested in my existence. None the less I introduced myself in my usual polite tone. "My name is (Y/N). It's nice to meet you all." Satisfied with the greeting, Gon cheerfully handed me a digital watch, giving me a brief summary on what the sign on the wall stated.

The five of us, standing before the door, simultaneously pressed the 'O' on our watches allowing for the door to to slide open. The other four began entering one by one. I waited for the group to enter before me so that I could be the last to leave the room. However, my eyes locked with the blonde (who I had realised was a boy after noting his voice was a tad too deep to belong to a girl) in the last minute when he was passing through the doorway, giving me a side glance. We didn't exchange any words or any particular facial expression; just stared at each other. Despite this, Kurapika didn't stop, he just continued walking after finally taking his soft grey eyes off my (E/C) ones. Ignoring the brief contact, I followed through the doorway behind him, feeling the cybershot camera dangling against my hip bone under my cloak.

~

The eye-contact they shared with one another felt like it lasted a lot longer, it felt like time had stopped. It was because that was the moment they both stared into the eyes of their soulmates.