#3. A letter to your parents.

Dear Mom and Mom,

Hi.

I couldn’t choose one. So I’m going to write to both of you.

First of, I wanted to thank you.

I know I would never be able to say this. I’m to shy, I don’t know how you’ll react…But thank you so much for adopting me. I mean…there were so many other girls there, you know? And you chose me. I can’t ever express the gratitude.

Because you didn’t just give me a house. You gave me a home. You gave me love.

You chose a girl who was too weird. A misfit. Unwanted.

But you took her in, didn’t you? I really wonder what made you chose me. I wonder what you saw in that scrawny seven year old. Whatever it was, I’m glad you did.

Sometimes, I wonder how different life would be, if that day never occurred.

I remember it like one remembers how to breathe. It’s something so instinctive, you don’t forget it.

It was cold and the soft snow had encompassed everything in sight. The trees were leafless, and the snow trickled down the branches. The wind made amusing sounds through the branches and the snowflakes looked like glitter dancing in the sun.

The smell of coffee and waffles wafted up to my room, on the second floor. I was going to dash down the stairs to pour tones of beautiful chocolate syrup over some warm waffles and reside in heaven.

But right then, a big, bold, red car came into sight. I stood there transfixed, unable to move my eyes from the contrast between the pale, white, pure snow and the bright cherry red.

It inched down the paved pathway and came to a halt under a tree. I heard the doors click open, and all the branches blocked my view.

I sprinted to the other window, pulling open the latch so I could stick my head out and get a better view. The cold hair bit the tip of my nose and cheekbones, but I ignored it.

Two ladies stepped out. Hand in hand, they walked closer, laughing and shyly pointing around. I guess they were married, and the love among them was visible from the other edge of the universe. 

Suddenly, a pair of startling brown eyes looked up, and smiled at me. Brown eyes pulled the green eye’s hands and they looked up at me too. Your faces were set alight with a grin, as you both waved and I promptly ducked under the windowpane.

I heard the doorbell ring on the quite winter morning, as I ran to my room’s door and locked the door.

You were probably here to adopt a tiny, cute, adorable two year old. Not a seven year old, with an olive complexion, dirty blonde hair, and an accent you would never understand.

Maybe you’ll adopt Chloe. She’s beautiful and has twinkling eyes who’ll manage to grasp your attention all the time.

I thought about your house. Was it modern and sleek? Or homely and rustic? Maybe you have a huge backyard. And dogs? Or cats? Fishes? Birds? Maybe you just disliked animals?

 I shook my head, my hair flying all around as I tried to push the thoughts out of my head. I’m never going to live there. With both of you. Don’t think about it.

I distracted myself, memorizing the strips of colors that made up my wallpaper.

Yellow, white, blue, yellow, white, green, yellow, white, yellow, white, red, yellow, white, oh maybe they have kids?

I sighed.

And I tried harder. Only colored strips. I leaned back, on my bed as I sat crossed leg on the floor, memorizing colors and nothing else.

I was startled by a knock on the door, as I jumped up and asked “Uh-Who is it?”

“Olivia”.

“Sister Olivia? Just give me a moment.” I muttered, as I got up to unlock the door, slightly annoyed that she had disrupted my color memorization process.

I swung the door open, and three tall adults stared down at me.

I shrank, moving away from the door. The brown eyes smiled and said “Hi.”.

What were you doing here? I don’t want to get my hopes high, just to see them shatter!

Sister Olivia continued, “Do you mind spending some time with them, Ilta?”

Should I?

They would never take me anyway.  What’s the point? I was about to shake my head, but my timid side won over as I nodded.

We went to the park, and pushed the snow off the swings. I sat there, swinging in the winter air, ignoring both of you and your fugitive glances at me and each other.

I pushed the ground harder with my legs, willing the swing to go higher, higher and higher.

I pushed the swing, when suddenly brown eye’s voice cut through. “Do you mind coming home?”

I went rigid mid air, my legs unmoving as the swing slowly came to a halt. “S-Sorry?” I stuttered, my mind not processing and filled with shock.

Green eyes smiled, and said “Do you want to come over? I mean you can live with us. It’ll be fun. You’ll love it there, don’t worry. I mean, it might be weird for you to not have a dad, but it’s okay I guess? And we have a pretty blue room and a dog and a-”

“Quit rumbling Aurelia.” Brown eyes commented and a soft blush covered green eye’s face.

I stared at them, still unbelieving.

Well?” Brown eyes asked again.

I looked down, the white snow all brown and mushy ‘cause of our boots. I gave a small nod and suddenly I was drowning in two warm hugs and the world was warm and beautiful again.

I smiled at the unexpected love, for maybe, the world wasn’t a big bad wolf after all.

Love you both forever,

Ilta