The Best Days Are Spent In Puebla

Adelaide

The only thing worse than moving to a town full of stuck up rich people?

Being the richest girl there.

We've only been here a day and I know I can't stay.

Everyone looks at us weird. Like we have some sort of disease they don't want to catch.

It's not like we're not used to it. In all the places we have ever lived, someone has hated us.

In one case, a poor old woman on the streets of Portland despised us so much she spat in my fathers face and cut me with her pocket knife.

It wasn't a bad cut. I can even understand where she was coming from- my father had just shut down a factory in the neighbourhood, a lot of people lost their jobs- but god forbid the daughter of Monsieur Amirault gets 'assaulted by a local nobody'.

A few months ago, while we were in Puebla, I figured out a way to escape. Escape the life of Adelaide Amirault.

And guess what? It didn't even involve drugs!

The first time I escaped was the greatest day of my life.

I didn't even do anything special. I just did what they did. Walked their streets, explored their stalls, ate their food.

People barely even noticed me. I just melted into the crowd, lost in the small wonders of the Mexican city.

And all I had to do was change my clothes and my name.

If my father knew he would be completely outraged. He would lecture me on how I should be proud to be a Amirault and how I'm just changing my identity, not me.

But maybe that isn't me.

Maybe Adelaide Amirault isn't who I truly am.

Aren't you supposed to be happy if you're being who you really are?

If this really is me, why am I not happy?