Too Late

Song: Too Late by The Happy Fits

"Move your hips along with the music," Kai grinned, placing his hands on Cinder's waist and swaying back and forth in time with the song. She glared up at him, but made no attempt to move his hands away from her.

They moved in time with the gentle melody—just the two of them dancing slowly in an empty ballroom. Kai couldn't help but smile as he spun her gently. She let out a little yelp, and it was then that Kai began to laugh.

She pulled away from him, crossing her arms over her chest, which had only the affect of making him laugh harder. She was so cute when she was angry; he wanted to kiss her and wipe the spitting rage from her features.

"Oh," Cinder scoffed. "Lick your lips but don't over do it."

Kai bit his bottom lip, then grabbed Cinder's hand and spun her in close to him. He pulled her close and dipped her back slowly as he kissed her. Then they broke apart and Kai swayed as a new song began to play.

"Bend your knees," Kai laughed, as Cinder stood stock still despite his own rocking.

He choked on his laughter, but bent his own knees rapidly in demonstration. "Keep the beat, but don't kill the drummer."

Cinder's face broke into a smile, and she allowed her body to fall against Kai's defeating the whole purpose of it all. He didn't resist, but rather held her, slowing the dance despite the quickening pace of the music. She leaned her head against his shoulder and Kai placed a sideways kiss to her messy hair.

"I just wanna be with you tonight," Cinder whispered. Kai let out a little sigh—he knew what she meant. He'd waited months to see her again, and she was only there until the day after the ball; two more nights.

"Me too," Kai said. "But isn't it a little too late?"

Cinder looked up at him, a smirk on her face. "It's never too late to be with you."