6 | avery dragomir

x

"You need to speak the language they speak."

"English?"

"Secrets."

x

"If you'll excuse me," said Avery Dragomir, eyes glimmering. "I need a moment with my girlfriend."

Astonishment filled my stomach at his words.

This was not how it was supposed to go.

The familiar feeling of panic washed over me at his declaration. He just said I was his girlfriend. Avery Dragomir just confirmed that I was his girlfriend.

He just ruined everything.

Now I had to adapt my plans.

I stared at him, dazed and pissed. He only looked down to hold my gaze, completely unfazed by the reaction his words stirred.

Why would you agree?

"Actually-" I started to say but Avery's fingers clasped over my wrist and then he was pulling me up the stairs, away from the commotion.

My shoulder blades were tight as I tried to pull away in silent protest, but Avery's gentle grip firm and unrelenting. Behind us, I could hear certain reactions that made me wonder if I accidently took this too far.

"Who is she?"

"He has a girlfriend?" A girl cried out.

Kalina was choking in laughter as she shrieked in delight, "What a birthday, Avery, what a birthday."

There was an uproar of voices that were being hastily covered by music. Helen must have commanded the DJ to amp the volume up. I could still hear Gloria raging in anger as Helen did damage control.

Still, no amount of covering would hide the fact that Avery Dragomir declared me as his girlfriend.

"For someone who doesn't date," I bit out, anger coloring my tone, "You're in a hurry to find a room with a girl."

Avery was supposed to reject me. That was the plan. After all, why in the world would he have went along with me posing as his girlfriend? After being rejected, I was supposed to 'run' away in shame but really, I would have stayed until everyone was too drunk in the night. Then, I would go find him and have a chance to speak with him alone because he would have been curious at why I declared to be his girlfriend.

All I needed was to appear unrecognizable tonight, make a joke out of myself, and then have a chance to be alone with him to execute my plan. All without an ounce of suspicion or attention.

I was starting to see the glaring holes in my hasty plan.

"There's nothing wrong with wanting a night with my girlfriend," Avery retorted with an equally mocking statement. He was just as furious at me as I was with him. "Besides, most people here prefer flings. Dating here is...more than a normal relationship."

"Then what is it about?" I couldn't help but ask.

Avery stayed silent for a moment. "How you can use the relationship to your benefit."