56 | secrets and satin

x

It's been years since I stepped foot into Erik Solar's home. I just never thought I'd enter through his doorway for my older sister's birthday party on Blue Blood Island.

I caught quite a few looks as I walked through the foyer. No doubt my jeans were not a part of the dress code. The party was still in its early stages. The cake hadn't even been caught.

"Vesper?" Ella's lips rounded as she took in my appearance. Mud on my jeans from visiting my mother and brother's graves. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to visit you on your birthday," I said, as I found her upstairs in a room. She seemed shaken up. "What's wrong?"

"You need to leave," Ella snapped, completely different from what I expected. "Now."

"Are you-" I shook my head in disbelief. "-high?"

"Stop acting so noble," Ella started, pushing me towards the door. "Please, Vesper, leave right now."

"What- I don't understand. What's going on with you, Ella?"

"I know why you're here," she hissed. "Listen, I was drunk when I said I wanted to write a suicide note. I found another one."

"Another suicide note-" I was hurt and confused that she wanted me gone. "What are you saying, Ella? Are you alright?"

"Leave, Vesper," she snapped. "Don't tell anyone who you are. And never come back."

I just never knew that the suicide note she "found" was mine that she'd stolen when she visited over the holidays.

x

"Azalea?"

I stilled at the voice, jolting when I heard a fist slam into the wall between us.

"I- Fuck I'm hearing things again," Avery murmured to himself, most likely gingering touching his knuckles. "Azalea..."

I squeezed my eyes shut, carefully regulating my breathing. The letter in my fingers were crumpled because I held them tightly. If I so much made a noise, he'd figure it all out. 

He'd know that I was the girl from the tunnels. 

I almost gasped when I could see through the small slit movement. Avery slowly lowered himself to the stone floor to take a seat, his back against the wall. I swallowed, unsure if I should just say something. Then I could finally spill one of the biggest secrets I've kept from him.

Physically, only a wall divided us. Emotionally, secrets polarized us.

Suddenly, I felt guilty for constantly blaming him for lying to me. How many times did I lie to him? As much as he did, if not more. Yet he never blamed me for lying to him. Avery could take it because he was okay as long as I wanted to try with him. But I couldn't accept it.

It wasn't fair. I wasn't being fair to him. 

"I met a girl," Avery said, and I shut my eyes at those words. "She's what I imagine you to be if we grew up." My heart squeezed. What was he going to say? Would he ever say these words to me if he knew I was here? "She's beautiful."

A long pause stretched between us. I was afraid to even breathe. Immense guilt churned in my stomach. I didn't know how he really felt.

"She's incredibly intelligent. Sarcasm and schemes are her favorites. With her help, most of the people I was targeting have been taken cared of in just a few weeks. I only have two or three more and then I can leave this academy," Avery whispered. "But I know that I'll lose her by the end of it. I don't-" he hesitated. "I don't know why I don't want her to leave."