18 | Senior Counsel

"Thanks for waiting, everyone," Percy said, officially starting the meeting. "I bring the unfortunate news of a new war." Gasps and worried whispers were heard. "But this time our enemy is not of this world." He received a lot of confused looks at that. "Believe it or not, but I recommend you do because it's true, aliens from another galaxy have marked Earth as their next planet to conquer."

3rd Person | Chiron's POV
1093 words

"How is this possible?" Chiron didn't ask "what do you mean" or "why is this happening to us" because those questions were useless. But what he knew that others didn't was the existence of other galaxies. More specifically, the existence of well-developed planets in other galaxies. He never met someone from off-world, but he heard tales of an interconnected universe of planets crafted by the incarnation of creation themself, Chaos.

Chaos is neither gender and both genders at the same time. They are the idea of existence. Their essence is complex thought itself. The closest thing our simple brains can understand when Chaos takes a physical manifestation is that they're non-binary, often acting more gender-fluid. Needless to say, not much is known about Chaos.

"I don't know, Chiron, but Chaos has confirmed it. He shared this information through a dream that Alex and I were just discussing and a letter he sent to the gods. The letter warned them of an upcoming war that will ravage Earth if the Razaeri, what these aliens call themselves, aren't stopped."

"Do we know when this'll happen?" Miranda Gardiner, head of Demeter, asked. Katie Gardner wasn't present, so Miranda was currently head counselor.

"No, but we do know we'll have help."

"What do you mean?" Pollux, head of Dionysus, wondered.

"Chaos revealed that the commander of his army will come with his lieutenants, followed by some captains, and then the rest of the army."

Lou Ellen Blackstone, head of Hecate, then spoke up, "This must be serious if the Chaos army is coming to help." Nods of agreement went around the room.

Chiron didn't see where else this line of questioning would get them, so he moved the subject towards the war effort. "How should we prepare? If this is on a global scale what does that mean for the Romans? The other pantheons? The mortals even?"

"No doubt the mortals will believe in an alien invasion. There are too many movies and conspiracies for them to not notice one. And I'm sure the other pantheons will be helping in their own ways, but a collective force might not be possible, even if all leaders agree to it."

"Why? Wouldn't more help be better? Fighting as one would give us the upper hand, wouldn't it?" Malcolm, ever the child of Athena, inquired.

"It's complicated, Malcolm," Percy tried to explain, "While the forces of good would indeed be strong when united, it would also strengthen the forces of evil from all pantheons. I don't think we can afford to fight on two fronts. But if we trust that the others will do their best on their own, then we may stand a chance of winning. For example, the Magicians have bases all over the globe, so they can congregate and protect Middle Eastern countries. The Norse can focus their strength in their original areas of worship. The same applies to the formidable Asian religions, such as Taoism, Shinto, Hinduism, and Vajrayana. South America is covered by the powers of their ancient civilizations and we, the Greek and Roman, can cover North America. As for Europe, I heard Hecate has a strong influence there and has promised a strong defense."

Faces around the room brightened with the assurance that they were not alone. "Do you think that even some... less cooperative forces would join our side? If not for us, then for their own self-preservation?" Everyone turned to look at Alex. He made a valid point and it was a little surprising that he contributed to the meeting considering how apprehensive he was at the start. It was also surprising because Percy wasn't known for his bright ideas, though he was an excellent leader in battle. Maybe the smart suggestion Alex provided wasn't as uncharacteristic of Poseidon's children as predicted.

Percy was beaming with pride at his brother. "I think it's worth it to spend time recruiting them to our efforts, yes. I'll propose it to the Olympian council." Alex blushed a little when Percy said that but was clearly proud of himself too.

"Going back to Chiron's first question," Percy continued, "I want everyone on strict training schedules. Cabins will train separately each morning, rotating through their strengths, then work together on improving weaknesses in the afternoon. For now, other classes or responsibilities will be handled after dinner, unless unavoidable. Free Saturdays no longer exist." Many groaned at that. "Sunrise to lunch will be dedicated to various methods of combat training for all campers collectively. That means breakfast happens before the sun is up. After lunch and into Sunday you all can relax and recuperate for the next week to come."

"What about preparing for nighttime attacks?" Nico said.

"Good point, Neeks," Nico glared at Percy for the nickname but stayed silent. "Every Wednesday at 11:00 pm, there will be scrimmages between rotating cabins. Turn it into a tournament or something, I don't know, but keep it going until 1:00 am. This, however, won't change Thursday's morning schedule."

"I agree we should be at peak performance for the war but is this maybe pushing it a bit? Especially for the younger campers?" Butch, head of Iris, added.

"We need to push if we want to win," argued Laurel Victor, co-head counselor of Nike.

"Yeah and we definitely want to win," Holly Victor, the other co-head counselor of Nike stated. Twin cheeky grins appeared on their faces.

"They are...," Travis started.

"Very scary." Connor finished.

Clarisse just rolled her eyes at them. "So much for college," she said. A few cabin leaders nodded in solemn agreement. Some more deliberation went on about how to best prepare and accommodate the younger campers, but by the end of the meeting, they had a solid plan.

Before departing, Percy apologized for leaving the difficult task of announcing the war to the campers up to Chiron, but he needed to update Olympus as soon as possible. Apparently, he was having a senate meeting in New Rome at the same time as the senior counsel, so they didn't have to worry about informing the Romans.

Chiron was the last to leave. He sat in deep contemplation about what this new war could mean for everyone. He couldn't remember ever being this concerned about an outcome. Chiron only left the rec room because the horn sounded for dinner. He put on a brave smile and headed down towards the pavilion. With a slow inhalation and an even slower exhalation, he began explaining the situation to everyone.