Chapter 2. Second Step.

"You okay?" The voice was muffled by the snow stuffed in my ears.

It was so cold, I could feel it dripping through my back, chilling my spine.

This kind of snow wasn't pretty, it was wet and disgusting.

"It lived!" I thrust my hot dog into the air like a champion. I didn't usually keep things that meant alot to me, they weighed me down.

They kept me from running, whether it be objects or people.

My actions earned a chuckle, the low pitch meant it was a boy, or man. Manboy.

"That's good. I meant are you okay?"

I could hear footsteps near my head. Oh man, I hope he doesn't step on my hair. That would suck.

For some reason I was smiling, maybe the fall had knocked my brains loose. It sure would be fun to go insane. That was His first excuse when I went to the police. Of course they took believed Him over me.

Maybe I am insane.

I laid there in the snow, stunned. Black strands of hair covered my wet face, the snow had melted and was soaking me to the bone.

Hands went under my armpits, breaking my personal bubble, making me jump. He was trying to help me up, but the touch sent me flying to my feet.

"S'ok. I'm fine." I grumbled, looking down to wipe the remaining white flakes off me before looking up at the stranger.

Manboy was a young man, at first all I could see was his chest, covered in a thick winter jacket. He was tall, I had to tilt my head up to see his face.

My eyes met his pair of happy hazel orbs, he grinned.

I tried to, but my mouth refused to work.

It wasn't like he was beautiful or anything, not the kind of person to take your breath away. But he looked nice enough. His skin was clear, not a pimple in sight. His teeth were straight. I couldn't tell his hair color though, most of his face was covered by a furry hood. Wait, wait! I found a pimple, right at the tip of his nose. Hah!

I squinted to get a better look at it.

He tilted his head, what a weird girl...

His nostrils flared as he spoke, the pimple stayed firmly in place,

"Why were you running?"

I snapped, my head jerked around and I stared nervously down the street. The Hot Dog Man wasn't anywhere in sight. "Uhm.."

In the distance I swore I could hear a siren. They're coming for me! I couldn't get arrested for taking a hot dog could I?

I wasn't about to take that chance.

I dove into the nearest store for cover.

The smell of coffee and donuts assulted my senses, and I stumbled to an empty table, away from the windows. I laid my hotdog out in front of me. It was still snuggly wrapped up, I had protected it in the fall. It was safe. And alll minnee-

"Where'd you get that?" A hand went over my hot dog, my mouth opened and my face flew up to Manboy.

He was standing over me, his hood was down. An eyebrow flew up into his brown hairline. He had chestnut hair, it was color I had tried dying mine a familar color a while back. It made me look like a doo-doo head. On him it just looked like mud.

"It's mine!" I whined, reaching for it. He pulled it out of my reach, and sat down across from me.

"That's my food!" I protested, clawing the air for my hot dog.

"You stole it didn't you?" He held the hotdog in an open palm, studying me like some detective.

"No." I bit my lower lip.

"Don't lie."

"But I-"

"Why were you running?"

"Cuz I had to-"

"You did steal it!"

"No! Why do you think I did?"

"You look like the type..."

"Judgemental, bully! I want my food!" I made a grab for it, but his reflexes were catlike, or maybe I was just slow. I beat my fists on the table.

He laughed.

"I'm not a bully. You're a thief."

"I'm hungry!" I swear everyone in that coffee shop was staring at us. And by everyone I meant the loner bearded man in the corner. The one always reading the newpaper and eating a muffin. Yeah that one, he never looks at anyone. But he was staring straight at us.

"What, are you some kind of cop? So what if I took it?" I was tired of this game, just give me my damn food.

His eyes narrowed in distaste.

"You have to pay for it, stealing is against the law. If you don't stop now, who knows what you'll be taking next."

Someone's truck, that was on the tip of my tongue. But I didn't dare say it.

"Shut up." I grumbled, crossing my arms.

"You can have it if you pay for it."

"I don't have any money." I muttered, staring sideways at the wall. I could feel my face flushing.

"Ehh..?" He sighed, his chair squeeled against the tile floors as he got up from the table.

"Oy! Where are you going?" My voice was no longer cracked, it was clear as day as I stomped after him. He ingored me, heading outside.

I stared at the ground while he paid for my hot dog and apologized to the man. The embarassment made me blush, my heated face kept me warm in the cold.They shared a laugh, I felt like disappearing.

I should run away again, but a hot dog was waved in front of my face, finally I could grab it.

Manboy started down the street, for some reason I was in step beside him.

"Feel better?" He smiled, watching me stuff my face.

"Much. Thanks." I managed between bites.

My empty stomach was filling, I felt warmer, and stronger.

My clothes were still soaked though.

"You should dry off." So ManBoy was a mind reader?

I looked at his pimple, my mouth was full.

"What's your name?"

I gulped the rest down, and replied without much thought.

"Harley." He named me after a motorcycle. Another reason why I hate Him.

ManBoy seemed to like it; he laughed.

"Nice to meet you Harley, my name is Charles."

I laughed; his name was funny too.