Chapter 1. First Step.

A green sign flashes over the dashboard, I ingore the name of the new town, it's never important.

The car in front of me is slow, I want to pass him.

I want to go 200 miles an hour,

I want to drive so fast that I can't feel the world around me anymore.

The speed would keep me warm.

It was Mid-January, and this old car's heating system was busted.

That's what I got for stealing a hunk of junk.

No one would miss this truck, I wanted to trottle it as it hiccuped and bounced through the snow. Rust grew up the windows, blending in with the frost on the glass.

I wished I could have taken something new, but a flashy car would have been noticed.

The police would have tracked me now, then He would have caught me for sure.

I can't let that happen.

My tired eyes met me in the mirror.

I can't help but look back, every second, every breath.

I checked everywhere to make sure He wasn't there. I know He follows me, he was very good at sneaking up when I wasn't expecting it.

So I learned to always expect it.

I had become more aware of my appearance, hoping to throw him off by changing the way I looked.

My hair had originally been blonde, my eyes a bright and cheerful blue.

Dark forelocks now hung over my forehead, a mane of unbrushed black hair ran down my back, almost reaching my waist; I didn't have time to cut it.

The highway turned into a road, buildings sprouted up in the place of trees.

It looked like I was downtown.

It was time to rest, just for a minute.

I couldn't ever actually stop.

When I bought something, he would be able to follow my credit card transactions.

I tried to buy as little as I could, but I need stuff, I'm a girl. It was that time of the month anyway.

Snow began to pelt down, clogging the roads.

People looked like they were trying to evacuate the streets, bustling along with their hoods done up, heads down, hands in their pockets.

The engine ticked as I shut it off.

I did my own jacket up before hopping out of the car into the mushy street.

I had parked near the sidewalk in front of a lazy looking convience store.

The inside smelled like plastic and cigarettes.

The forgien worker behind the counter gave me a wary smile as I bought tampons.

He rang me up.

I stared at the ground.

"Is it cold out?" He tried a friendly approach.

I looked at him with buttoned lips before putting a few dollars on the counter.

I had picked up some spare change so I wouldn't have to use my credit card.

Luckily it was enough, I was allowed to leave the store with my womanly goods tucked into my jacket.

The air smelled thickly of gasoline, the streets were polluted with brown snow and slush.

And I thought small towns like this were supposed to be cute.

It felt like a wasteland. But angels began to play the Halluejah Chorus as I stood debating on the street. A delcious smell was wafting in my direction. I turned towards it like a bee to honey, lips parting, eyes widening. Down the street, a red stand stood out in the snow.

A Hot Dog Stand.

The man smiled at me as I trotted up. Another friendly one, oh boy. "What would you like today, miss?"

"T-One. Extra everything please." My voice crackled from unuse.

The smell of cooking meat made me dizzy, and my hands were shaking as he handed me the wrapped up treasure. It was hot in my hands, I was so eager I almost engulfed it there.

He cleared his throat.

Oh right, I had to pay.

"Heh-" I chortled, balancing the hot dog in one hand as I searched my body for extra change. Pockets empty, I returned with nothing but lint.

"Er, I'm sorry young lady but- H-HEY! GET BACK HERE!"

His thunderous voice called after me as I made a mad dash down the street. I didn't care, I just wanted my hot dog. My feet pounded through the snow, I almost slipped around the corner, but the adreneline racing through my veins kept me upright.

Just keep running.

He wasn't chasing me was he? I didn't dare look back, not now. I almost wanted to laugh, I was on a high. I had made it away with my food. I ran faster, grinning now. Precious Precious food, I couldn't wait to- shit!

A hooded figure was standing smack in the middle of the sidewalk.

"Look out!" I cried, trying to warn him. I couldn't stop now, I was going too fast. I couldn't change course.

We collided.

There was lots of grunting and twisting and cursing as we landed in the snow.

My stolen hot dog was still safe.