3 tips to master characters

1. Create character profiles
• profiles not only help you organize your thoughts about certain characters, but also allow you to keep track of their physical features, way of thoughts and relationships.

['Lit lift' << website for profile templates. ]

2.Build backstories
Use backstories as a way to build depth into your characters, and to figure out what their motives are and how they'll react in different situations.
—write down dot points, short passages about your characters lives before the time which your novel is set. Ask yourself: why is he afraid to do this? What drives her to do that?
—building back stories for your characters before you start writing your first draft could mean the world of difference later on. Be inspired by real events, real experiences and real people. This will create authenticness —write down quirks they posses—significant traits etc...

3.Research
—Research also helps the act of observing the people around you. Research can take place anywhere: cooking-waiting in line for Starbucks, stuck in traffic, on the train - bus - walking. Inspiration is everywhere. Tune into peoples conversations—why do they say the things that they say in a certain tone or manner. Why that topic—why whispering?—why frowning ?
••Before you write a good dialogue, ask *WHY.* Why did they get on this subject in the first place?
••Asking *WHY* can lead to so many unexpected results when creating characters...watch how others react and interact with the people around them. Look for interesting habits and ask yourself what the story behind the habit might be. Why is that woman constantly re-adjusting her glasses? Are the glasses uncomfortable? Is she nervous about something? Why is the guy drumming his fingers is he bored or rehearsing to be the drummer for underground band.

Create stories from ordinary actions, and let your characters evolve from those stories.