Chapter One

Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

Surely I thought my father was playing a trick on me. But by the way my neck aches at any inconvenience related to the position I hold, I now know he was right. It was insufferable.

The sun rose so effortlessly; it shined through the fog that settled across the Iverin Hills and Hollands End, and it fought its way through to shine in my glass windows. I sat facing the window where the sunlight was streaming in. Hitting my skin, warming my body, making me glow. I loved the sun for that very reason. 

It made my dark brown skin shine like the finest treasure. It melted into my body, warming not only my blood but my soul. It revived me in ways other things could not. It was like I was made to be shined upon. There was also a slight light that was able to break through the white fog and hit the village below me, miles away. I saw my beloved followers' figures in the town square smiling and laughing, or at least I imagined. I liked to think they enjoyed living under my rule. Lore knows I know no different.

There was a soft knock on the door, which brought me out of my daze. 

 "Come in." I stood fixing my gown and saw the door open, and in walked Mariah. 

My trusted maid, and a trusted friend. She walked in with her eyes low to the ground, her blonde hair covering her face as it always does. Mariah had been the first maid of my choosing when I was just a girl. And though I was given many maids to choose from, I decided against them. I found Mariah as a young child, wandering the streets. I was a mere twelve, and she was ten, hiding in the shadows stealing to survive.

I took pity on her and had her come work for me. We have grown quite close, and she has been my first-hand maid ever since. And close confidant. I had hoped to promote her to more of a prominent role, seeing as her family must have abandoned her and left her on her own. But my father, King Drero, of course, said no due to her features. Her blonde hair, and blue eyes, were the representation of witches in their lineage.

Witches in Undamia are a sore topic and should be avoided at all costs. Though not all who have brightly colored yellowed hair are descendants of the witches, my father says we can never be too sure. So the only way to save her was to have her as my maid and I was more than willing to give her something. Anything. To get her out of the stone alleyways and into somewhere warm.

"Your majesty, they're meeting again without you." Her voice was always faint but I have grown accustomed to it over the years. 

"Who?" I asked as I walked to my large standing mirror and looked at the gown I was wearing, the official Undamia colors. 

It was a dark red gown that was tailored to my body. It was covered in black embroidered lace. The sleeves were just the lace, the fabric of the dress only starting at the straight line on my bust. And the beautiful golden crown of Undamia sat perfectly on my curly head.

"The council." 

That was all she needed to say to fill my chest with anger. This was the fourth time the council had met without me for reasons unknown. Though I had only been Queen for a short time–two years and seven months–I still deserved the same respect that was given to my father. 

"I have many inappropriate things to say," I said as I straightened my dress. "But I will keep my mouth shut. Like the good Queen that I am." I said more to myself as the profanities and vulgar words swarmed my thoughts. I could hear Mariah let out a soft chuckle which caused a soft smile on my face.

"This dress is beautiful." She spoke up trying to calm me down and take my mind off the anger that was begging me to come out. "Word has been spreading through the servant's quarters about the meetings." I groaned in annoyance at the statement. Once the servants found out anything you already knew that it would reach the town and be on the gossip pages.