Chapter 42

"But how?" Hermione frowned, "how do we get all eight of us all the way to London?"

"We've got Lucy and Ginny covered," Sawyer said, "I have a broom, that leaves five."

"Even if we partner up on the brooms, it's still not enough," Harry groaned, "we're not going to be able to do it."

"There's other ways of flying than with broomsticks," Luna said matter-of-factly.

"I suppose you want us to ride on the back of a Kacky Snorgle or whatever it is, don't you?" Ron demanded.

"The Crumple-Horned Snorkack can't fly," Luna said in a dignified voice, "but they can and Hagrid says they're very good at finding places their riders are looking for."

Lucy followed Luna's gaze, however, she couldn't see what the blonde was referring to.

"Yes!" Harry whispered, walking suddenly towards the trees, his arms outstretched.

"What's he doing?" she nudged Ginny.

"No idea," she shrugged, "I think he's gone mad..."

"Is it those mad horse things?" Ron eyed Harry's hand uncertainly, it was stroking what seemed to be air, "the ones you can't see unless you've seen someone snuff it?"

"Yeah," Harry nodded.

Lucy turned around, locking eyes with Sawyer, a quizzical look on her face.

"Thestrals," Sawyer took a step forward, putting a hand securely on Lucy's hip.

"Oh," Lucy nodded, remembering a passage she had read about the creatures.

"How many?" Hermione asked.

"Just two," Harry replied.

"More will come," Ginny said confidently.

"What?" Harry turned to her.

"If you recall, they're attracted to blood," Ginny said, "and seeing you and Hermione are covered in it..."

"Here they come now!" Luna smiled dreamily.

"I can't see them," Lucy whispered so only Sawyer could hear, "how many?"

"More than enough," Sawyer's gaze was on an empty patch of land just ahead of them.

Lucy saw leaves crunch under invisible hooves.

"All right then," Harry said irritated, "pick one and get on then."

Harry, Neville and Luna were quick to mount their Thestrals.

Sawyer, however, made sure Lucy, Ginny, Ron and Hermione got safely situated on the invisible creatures before mounting one himself.

As soon as she left the ground, Lucy regretted the decision to ride the Thestrals. They took of fast and without warning, soaring into the air. Not being able to see the animal, Lucy felt sick to her stomach, feeling as if she was stranded in the air.

She leaned forward, trying to wrap her arms around the creatures neck, squeezing her eyes closed, desperately wishing Sawyer was behind her. If he'd just rode with her, she could sink into his arms and instantly feel safe.

She didn't open her eyes again until she felt the Thestral land on solid ground.

Releasing her death grip and sitting up, she noticed that night had fallen, the only source of light coming from the street lamps that lined the empty street.

Sawyer was immediately at her side, lifting her off the animal and onto the ground.

"Are you ok?" He asked, "you're looking a little green?"