Chapter 3

The Batman left Aflred and Lucius in the cave and used the Tumbler to get back into Gotham. Once he was within a few blocks of the police station, he parked the car, roped to one of the roof tops and jumped a few buildings to get to where Gordon and the light were located. Jim was standing on the roof, waiting for the Batman to arrive and finally his patience paid off. As the Dark Knight arrived, Jim responded by turning off the light. There were a few other officers on the roof with him, holding some paperwork.

     "What seems to be the problem." Batman asked, trying to be a professional and brooding as possible.

     The Commissioner slowly walked up to give him the news. "We have a situation going on at Arkham."

     "Arkham?" Batman repeated, slightly confused. "I thought that place was closed down several years ago when everyone was moved everyone to Blackgate prison."

     Gordon paused for a moment and took a deep breath. For a moment Jim had actually forgotten that he was dealing with a new Batman. He walked over to the other officers and took the paperwork from them. "We need a moment alone." Based on the look on the commish's face, the two officers got the hint, this was not a request.

     "Yes Sir." one replied as they both left the rooftop.

     Gordon waited for the door to close. "The information I am about to give you is something that only myself, the mayor and your predecessor ever knew about. The staff still working at Arkham are our best men, guarding only one prisoner."

     "Who's still there?" Batman asked. This was obviously a secret Bruce left out when leaving him the keys to the cave.

    "We thought it was best to not even risk moving him to Blackgate." Gordon explained. "We doubled the guards in that wing, and for the better part of eight years… he's been the sole occupant of Arkham. Locked away in his very own jail, kind of like a permanent solitary confinement. Everything was fine until last week. He started making threats and that making everyone nervous."

     "Who's in there?" Batman asked again, his patience slipping.

     Jim paused for a moment and finally spoke. "It's the Joker."

     "My gaud." Batman cursed as he finally realized what was going on. "The people of Gotham have no idea this madman is still in the city?"

     "It was best to keep his location a secret, so that no one would try to break him out." Gordon answered.

     "So that's why Bane never freed the Joker during his occupation." Batman said, "He wasn't at Blackgate. The guards at Arkham managed to keep him there all that time?"

     "When we turned Arkham a one man jail, Batman and I prepped that place for any possible situation that could arise. That place had its own food supply as well so that the guards could bunker in if someone tried to siege the building. In the event that someone tried to break the Joker out, the national guard would be dispatched to surround the building and end the threat." Gordon could tell by the look on Batman's face what he was going to ask next. "We never risked contacting Arkham during the occupation out of fear Bane would learn the Joker was still there and try to break him out."

     "I understand." Batman said as he thought back to those dark months. "What's the Joker up to now?"

     "Out of the blue he started talking to us." Gordon said. "He's threatened to blow up a school unless we meet his demands."

     "Is the threat credible?" Batman asked.

     "We're not sure." Gordon said as his frustration was evident. "It's going to take a few days to search every school to make sure they're clear."

     "Well, thank goodness it's Friday." Batman replied. "Let's give the kids a three day weekend. Have the mayor make something up and that should be enough time to search every school in the city."

     "Maybe he could make it national Batman Day." Gordon joked with a grin.

     "Doesn't matter." Batman replied. "As long as it buys us some time, we'll be able to determine if the Joker is for real or…"

     "Of if he's blowing smoke up our asses." Gordon finished. "Chances are that's what he's doing, but while we search the schools, we should consider giving into his demands."

     "Why would we do that?" Batman asked.

     "I realize we don't want to start a pattern." Gordon admitted, "But at the moment his demands are not that unreasonable."

     "For now." Batman cautioned.

     "So you don't think we should give him what he wants?" Gordon asked.

     "What's he asking for?" Batman replied with a question of his own.

    "To speak with you." Gordon answered. "He also wants a large pizza with red peppers, anchovies and feta cheese."

     Batman pondered the request. "Not yet. There's no need to budge an inch for that madman unless we have good reason too. If we find something in one of the schools, then we'll consider it. There's no need to inflate his ego unless we absolutely have to."

     "In the meantime, we'll search every school." Gordon answered.

     "I'll see if there is something I can do to speed things up on my end." Batman offered. He was hoping Lucius might have some device that might help find the bomb faster than Gordon and his men could.

    "I'll also contact the mayor to make sure he declares this coming Monday a holiday." Gordon replied. "What happens if we find something?"

     "Then I'll deliver the pizza myself."