Chapter 2

Life hadn't been better for Alfred Pennyworth. It had been only a short time since he spotted Master Bruce and Ms. Kyle and he had never been more relieved. Bruce had finally retired as a crime-fighter and moved on to the finer things in life such as women and fine wine. Alfred remembers going to bed that night after seeing them in the restaurant and he had never slept so well in decades. This feeling of bliss lasted for a few months, until one night when he was in a pub having a pint while watching a game on the tube. On another television next to the one showing the football game was a new report of news out of Gotham City: the Batman was back.

     Alfred was confused and for a moment he was hoping this was some kind of prank. But the evidence was there on the television for him to see: the tumbler roaring through the streets of Gotham, capturing jewel thieves and the police using the light to speak with the Dark Knight again. Alfred couldn't believe what he was seeing; it was his worst nightmare all over again. It was apparent to the former butler that Bruce was incapable of staying away and had returned to Gotham to be the Batman once again.

     It was more than the old man could handle. He returned home and packed a bag before taking a cab to the airport. Once at the airline counter, he booked the next available seat to Gotham City. The flight back to the United States and to Gotham was a long flight, and it gave Alfred all the time he needed to lecture Master Bruce on why he was risking too much to come back a third time. His last stint as the Batman nearly cost him his life and he didn't need to prove anything more to the people of Gotham. His time was up and he was supposed to retire, live the good life and let the young take over from here. He didn't listen to him, at least not for long. Alfred was intent on dragging Master Bruce back into retirement, kicking and screaming if necessary.

     Once on the ground in Gotham, Alfred went to baggage to claim his luggage and then walked out to the first cab waiting. "Wayne Manor." He called as he tossed a hundred dollar bill on the front seat.

     "No problem, mister." The cabbie said as he pulled out in a hurry. A few minutes after they were on the road the cabbie called back to Alfred. "You are aware that the Wayne family don't live there anymore. It's an orphanage now."

     "I am very aware of that." Alfred answered, not willing to relive his last days in the city.

     "You here to adopt a kid?" the cabbie asked.

     "Not exactly." The butler answered. "But I do have some old business to take care of."

   "Good luck with that." The cabbie called back and that was the last thing the two of them exchanged until they reached the Manor.

     Once at the Manor, Alfred walked up to the door and knocked a few times before someone finally answered. "I'm not sure if you know me but…"

     "Of course I know who you are." The person said as he extended a hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Pennyworth."

    The person not only knew who Alfred was but everyone did as he was given a small tour of the Manor as it was today. There were a lot of kids running around, and Alfred has a feeling that the Wayne family would have been proud of all the good work their home was doing for the Gotham's young runaways. Much to Alfred's surprise a few rooms in the manor were kept the same to honour the Wayne family, especially one room that still had the family piano.

     Alfred stared at the old piano and hen turned to the worker who had been showing him around. "This is all so emotional for me. Would you mind giving a moment of privacy?"

     "Of course Mr. Pennyworth." The worker answered. "If you need anything…"

     "I'll be all right, thank you." Alfred answered as he watched the worker stroll down the hallway and disappear. A few moments later, Alfred stepped over the velvet line that was blocking off the room and strolled in. He walked up to the baby grand piano and tapped the same three keys he always hit and waited.