Chapter 16

A bright white light pierced through Elora's closed eyes, her hand lifted as if to stop the light from penetrating through her eyelids. The warm buzz that flowed through her body had started to fade and instead a film of sweat had settled over her body. She opened her eyes to squint against the harsh sunlight of the Southern Realm and gazed around her in awe. From as far as the eye could stretch, the ground was a bright orange that glowed in the sun, like waves of molten lava. Banu stood ahead of her watching, eager to see her reaction to his home.

Ahead of her loomed a large stone wall, its height casting long shadows across the hot ground. In the centre of the wall was a giant arch that was covered in large iron bars, the gate to the city sat wide open. Along the tops of the wall were men wearing very little, holding weapons as they gazed down upon the two travellers. Their eyes were sharp and stances rigid, waiting for the two of them to make their move.

Banu raised his hands and shouted out thick guttural words that she did not understand. The men on the wall nodded amongst themselves and waved their hands down at him, they could enter. Elora looked at Banu, her eyes wide and her heart pumping as they started walking through the giant arch.

As they passed through the large gate, the sounds and smells of the strange city consumed her immediately. A loud roar of people filled the air and echoed through her ears. From all sides, there were people laughing, some shouting, women arguing, children shrieking, shopkeepers haggling and the sound of livestock clomping on the dusty road. Below her knees small scaly creatures scurried around on all fours, weaving in and out of people's feet, chittering loudly to each other. A small force wearing a beaded hat collided with her, sending her tumbling into Banu's back. He reached around and steadied her. "Watch your pockets, this city is full of sticky fingers...Oh and welcome to Alzoh!" Thanking the gods she had put the coin in her bag, she stepped back from him and nodded.

Slowly they pushed their way through the crowds, Elora kept a watchful eye on her surroundings, especially when someone jostled her. They passed through the centre of the bustling market. Tables and carts were jammed together with brightly coloured tarps acting as a barrier from the sun. Underneath the tarp were swarms of people, some arguing with the sellers and others balancing their bought goods in their arms. It was scorching hot in the centre and there was the always present dust that settled on everything. Elora's own white skin had a layer of fine orange dirt sticking to her sweaty skin.

A cart alongside them caught her eye. The cart was filled to the brim with piles of luminescent spices, bright reds, oranges, and greens that glowed in the sunlight. Their pungent fragrance invaded her nostrils with their unusual smell and she grinned at the exoticness. The man sitting behind the spices had dark skin and a mean scowl, he reminded her of the traders from Nazabay in Wirenth. Elora had only now begun to notice the strange looks she was receiving from the crowd. Her pale skin, now a dirty pink, and white hair stood out from the rest, her attire also drew curious stares. Unlike the Northern Realm, the centre was stuffed with people whose complexion was so golden and dark it was as if they had spent all day in the sun, while some had the colour of a midnight sky like Banu. 

She had also begun to notice how alarmingly beautiful the people were, with their strong and defined features. The women wore sheer fabrics with swirling gold patterns and bright designs, some wore two-piece outfits that showed off their toned stomachs and smooth thighs. Most of the men wore loose pants and a belt, leaving their strong chests bare and glistening in sweat.

Trill laughter floated above her and Elora looked upwards towards a balcony. Three women leant over the railing, their breasts large and barely covered by a small slip of fabric, threatened to spill over the railing. They waved and whistled at her, calling down something that she did not understand. Banu looked up and then back at Elora, a mischievous smirk on his face. "They're offering to lay with you, they've even offered a special price."