Chapter 10

The early morning sunshine poked through the tavern's windows, waking her up. She felt as if she had just fallen asleep she was just still so tired. Last night she had had the same dream as before, in the red room. Like the previous dream, the same word had repeated over and over again like it was stuck on a loop. Khogassek. She wasn't sure if it was a person or place, but she knew she had to find out. When she got to Alzoh she would start searching, she's sure someone would know something.

Not wanting to keep Banu waiting, she got out of bed and picked up the pile of clothing he had brought to her room last night. First, she pulled on a pair of dark pants that were tight enough that a belt was not needed. Unlike her prison pants, these covered her ankles, offering protection from the cold. Bending over she tugged a light brown tunic over her head, the material stopping a few fingers above her knees, using her rope belt, she looped and tied it around her waist. She threw her coat on top, the wool faded and thinned from years of use. Lastly, Banu had very kindly included a beautiful pair of leather boots, they were a perfect fit for her small feet. The leather was soft and a warm brown, they reached mid-calf with small leather ties running up the side to tighten the boot. The thick leather wouldn't leak like her old pair and would keep the cold out.

Folding the page of formulas, she had torn, which she was now certain were magical spells, she tucked the paper and the coin into the pocket inside of her coat. Quickly and with competent fingers, she re -braided her again, the braid falling straight down her back with a few strands escaping. Her sword lay on the bed, its metal shining in the sunlight. Elora Admired it for a moment before tucking the handle inside her belt, the metal resting against her hip. She was ready.

Banu was already waiting for her downstairs, he sat at one of the tables, two steaming bowls sat in front of him. Smiling at the owner of the tavern, she made her way to Banu and sat down with him. He pushed one of the bowls toward her. "Eat up, did you sleep well?"

"I did, thanks. Oh, and thanks for the clothes, they're beautiful. Where did you get them?" She asked, digging her spoon into the mushy food. Banu swallowed a large gulp. "I made a few trades with the villagers." 

They sat in tense silence as they finished their food. Both of them were anxious about crossing the Terberis Cliffs today. Banu's usually calm demeanour was replaced by a visibly tense and quiet front, his knees were jumping up and down under the table. They sat for a moment, with their empty bowls in front of them, Elora gathered her thoughts and steeled her nerves. Today was an important day. It was the day she finally would leave the Northern Realm, the only home she had ever known. His voice broke her thoughts. "You ready?"

"It's now or never, let's go."

Outside a small crowd had gathered, news of the travellers entering the Terberis Cliffs had spread quickly in the small village, all of them were there to see the two off. The large man from last night was there, he rested his pudgy hand on each of their shoulders and bowed his head. "Good luck out there you two." Both of them nodded their thanks and Banu walked over to a single horse tied to a wooden post. He motioned for her to come closer as he climbed onto the horse's back. "You only got one horse?" she asked.

"Can you ride a horse?"

"Well, no."

"Great, then hop on." He patted the seat behind him. She was aware of the crowd that watched them, nervous about making a fool of herself she approached the large horse apprehensively. Gently, she ran her fingers across the warm coat of the horse, feeling the steady heartbeat below her fingertips. He offered her his hand and pulled her up onto the horse behind him. She sat tense, afraid of tumbling off the horse when it started moving. Banu sensed this and grabbed her arms, wrapping them around his waist. "Hold on."