Chapter Two- Lady Knight; No Tears

Daya-🎵 Safe🎵

Jane's Pov

While everyone enjoyed the crowning of our new king I was seated on a rock feeling sorry for myself. My heart felt closed and heavy. He left before the crowing took place and I knew I was the reason he left such an important event. The only time he ever really spoke to me was simply because I was in his command.

It was eight years ago yet I could not evade the memories that lingered. I believe this feeling was guilt, my fingers hugged each other as I stared at nothing. Sometimes I wished I could cry just like the lady I was without being judged.

I had failed a man who was currently my leader, a man who grew to be my friend. According to my friends they believed Gunther was given leadership because of his father's death and his gender. I disagreed with my friends because in my eyes Gunther earned that title.

By the age of sixteen he grew to be a perfect gentleman and his childish pranks vanished. I was a better fighter and I was surprised when he confessed that on my fourteenth birthday. I tried hating him but I failed and we grew so close that Jester somehow felt threatened.

I glanced at the tree in the distance.

Dragon had been sick for the past two weeks and I sunk into a deep feeling of failure. The marks on his skin were hideous and my vibrant friend was now dull in the eyes and his body remained on my roof.

My eyes grew sad as I stared at the creature. He was resting and his breathing was laboured. I could not touch him because the everyone around me did not advise me to do so. They weren't wrong, whatever dragon had could have been contagious to humans. I could not gain understanding as to why this has happened nor could I point a finger at anyone but myself. He was so weak he could not change his position on his own.

We had to provide equipment to shift his his stuff frame. At least four of us had to get the task done. Whenever his eyes opened it was a small appreciation.

I felt like crying because I failed dragon . He was now an important part of my life and now I feared loosing him. The worst part was dragon did not remember having anything strange as a meal. Even if he did how would I know? Dragon ate almost anything in plant life and things that are not palatable to us would be enjoyed by the green fellow.

"You will be okay, that I promise" I told the pale fellow but somehow it sounded as if I was trying to give myself strength. This brought me back to when I was twelve years old and dragon had a tail infection. I was petrified as a child but this was far worse and if he should experience something like this at that age I would have fallen apart.

"How is he doing?" I gazed up at the man who had grown to become my friend as the years went by. I was close to crying but I would never cry before a fellow knight nor anyone around me. Gunther offered me his hand and I took it, my eyes on my sick friend the entire time.

"He's growing worse by the minute" I was guided down the stairs with his hand on my back.

"That's why I am here" when he said that I turned to look at him strangely. He is here because dragon had succumbed to his injury in a far worse manner?

We were out of ear shot and daylight was slowly turning dark. He took my hand, my brows knit painfully as I stared at the man before me. What did I get the feeling he had something bitter to say.

"Dragon has been poisoned" when those words left his lips I pulled my hand away roughly. Did I really hear the words that rolled off that tongue of his?

"What?" I failed to believe the words because I don't understand who who would be that cruel to dragon. My eyes narrowed at Gunther but before I could speak he spoke.

"My lady?" I stared at the hand reached towards me, my face straightening when I took the hand offered. His hand was warm in my hold and that warmth was enough to give a sense of calm. Jester was always there in my darkest days and I could not thank him enough for that.

"The first dance my lady?"he asked as he twirled my body beneath his arm. I smiled as I allowed him to lead me indoors before I could sulk into further sadness.

The ball room was now filled with slow dancing and slow music. Rake and Pepper seemed to be having the time of their lives, Peppers head resting on his chest softly.

I gazed at Jester, his smile soft and somewhat compasoinate. His hand craddled my lower back while the other hand held my free hand.

"It was not your fault Jane, you cannot sulk on the past" he was enough to bring a smile on my face but he could not completely erase the pain in my heart.

"It was my fault Jester because if I had my temper controled his father would still be alive" my head was placed to his chest.

"Jane it is in moments such as this one I wish you would cry on my shoulder and not keep everything bottled up beneath that red hair" Jester told me and I punched him in the stomach before returning my hand to his shoulder.

"Well if I do that it would be best to return my sword and armour" I teased as we allowed the music to devour our souls. If I was going to sulk on the past then I may do that at home. As it regards to right here and right now, I am willing to take this temporary happiness.

Vote and comment please :)