Prologue - Yellow Flicker Beat

Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt. - Sir Thomas More

As I stand at the precipice which I have mastered on my own, I realize the events that have led me here. Nothing can bring back what once was and I find that I do not wish for the past to repeat itself. I do not blame anyone. I do not blame myself for these oversights. These occurrences happened for a reason and I am better for it.

It was my first year at the prestigious Tudor High; a private high school in which boys and girls were never allowed to mix and Heaven forbid if we were caught. I had thought our religion emphasized on marriage and breeding and yet, how could we even think of such a thing when we could not talk to one another.

My popularity at Tudor High did not happen overnight. When I saw him, I knew I wanted to be with him. I wanted to belong to him and I realize now this was my mistake. I was not an object to be had. I was not a trophy. Somewhere along the way, I had lost sight of who I was. I was a person. I was a woman. I was not his. Not any longer.

Not ever again.

It hurt. I was empty as though my heart had been hollowed out. It felt scary to be alone. However, this was for the best. I belonged to me. I was no longer his.

Henry Tudor.

The name once rolled off my tongue as sweet as honey and now it had a bitter, acrid flavor.

I had devised a way to meet him. This was my route to popularity. In the process of getting closer to him, I had become closer to the rest of the school. It was a simple plan. Study groups at school and each other's houses and everything fell into place. Innocent study groups here and there and by the close of the month, there were secret couples, secret glances, and secret notes around school. I had bent the rules without breaking any and had risen to fame. Soon, I was the captain of the cheerleading squad. It was as though Tudor High was my kingdom and I, Anne Boleyn, was their queen.

Queen B had a nice ring to it.

But, I still felt as though something was missing from my life. I had achieved everything I had wanted within my first year. I had grasped every opportunity to advance my academic and social careers. However, my heart had been ignored until the fateful day... when my life would change and I would never be the same again.

~~~

If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote! Stock image used in cover courtesy of Stock Town Nation at deviantart.com