Eight: The Truth Comes Out

Even though I had blackmailed Fiona, I was still planning on telling Klaus about his girlfriend's infidelity regardless, he deserved someone better, someone like Veronica. She was a kind girl, and I knew deep down that she would never do anything to betray Klaus's trust. Throughout Creative Writing, I kept a close eye on Fiona, she looked back at me silently begging for me to stand down, but I absolutely would not.

Mrs. Anwhistle's lecture about grammar was very boring, I zoned out for the majority of the lecture and tried to think about something else besides the blackmailing. I started to smile when I thought about Quigley. During lunch, he asked me if I could help him with some hard questions in history class. Apparently, my Uncle Jacques gave people hard history questions that weren't part of the history textbook.

I didn't understand why he did that, but based on some of the lessons I had learned over the years, I knew the majority of the answers. Maybe it was because Quigley was in an advanced history class, usually the harder classes would have harder questions. Then, the final bell rang, and I purposely waited until everyone left the classroom, including Fiona.

Once I knew that the coast was clear, I grabbed my stuff and poked my head out into the hallway. I saw Fiona and Klaus kissing by some of the lockers, and I immediately became disgusted. She's got a lot of nerve to kiss Klaus after she kissed another boy. I patiently waited to see if she was going to get it over with and tell him the truth, but from what I could see from afar, she had not told him. In order to not look like I was spying on them, I walked down the hall to my father's office to help with some of the daily tasks he had for me.

The next day, I noticed that Fiona wasn't there. She must've thought if she didn't come to school today, she wouldn't have to tell him. Whenever I talked to Klaus in the classes that we had together, he didn't seem upset, it became obvious that Fiona still hadn't told him. In Geometry, Veronica kept looking over at me, and I could tell that she knew that I was hiding something even though I was trying to act normal.

For the rest of classes, I dreaded the fact that now I had to tell him the truth about Fiona. When seventh period was over, I saw Klaus was at his locker, and I knew that it was now or never. As I closed my locker, I took a deep breath and walked over to Klaus. "Hey Klaus, can I talk to you? It's very important," I asked. He looked over at me, with a slight look of confusion on his face. But, he said okay, and I led him to the photography classroom.

"So, what's going on?" He asked as I closed the door behind me. "Look, I know we haven't known each other that long, but I want you to know that I care about you as a friend," I began. "I don't like where this heading, Dusk," I took a deep breath and decided to just be direct, like ripping off a band-aid. "I saw your girlfriend, Fiona making out with another boy in the girl's bathroom yesterday," I sighed.

There was a disturbing amount of silence between us, and I was worried that Klaus was going to do something bad. "Klaus, are you okay?" I asked, slowly walking towards him. "Please, tell me this is a joke," he whispered. "I'm sorry, Klaus, it's not a joke, I saw it with my own eyes," Klaus walked away from me, and curled up into a little ball on the floor. "What the hell? How could she do this to me?" he muffled into his knees.

I felt so bad for him, I couldn't imagine if someone I loved betrayed me like that. I bent down on the ground next to him and I wrapped my arms around him pulling him closer to me. "I'm so sorry," I whispered. Klaus looked up at me and I could see tears falling down his face. "It's not your fault Dusk. I appreciate the fact that you told me," he sighed. I didn't know if I should've told him about blackmailing Fiona, but this wasn't the time or place.

"I should probably get home, Violet and Sunny will be wondering where I am," Klaus sighed getting up and grabbing his backpack. "Okay, if you need anything, let me know, okay?" I said as he approached the door. "Okay, thanks Dusk,"

When the door closed, I let out a small sigh slightly relieved that Klaus finally knew the truth. But, at the same time, I felt guilty because I blackmailed someone. I just hope that I had made the right decision.