32

'Yes, me,' Talis said. 'I see you finally found Aelin. She's a lot less than I'd thought her to be.'

She'd put two and two together the moment she'd seen Fenrys. He must've had a mission in the Red Desert to be able to spend so long there without being called back by Maeve. And it also explained his sudden disappearance.

Despite his rude behaviour, Enya said, 'Thank you.' She owed a lot to Fenrys... especially when they'd been in the Red Desert. That's how her progress had risen spectacularly.

'I can't say I'm sorry for trying to kill you the other night. They were orders, and bloodlust got the better of me.'

'Maeve wants me dead?' Enya asked.

'Yes.'

She shrugged. 'You can just kill me now, if you want.'

Fenrys cut her a lazy grin. 'I'm not in the mood for it.'

Enya rolled her eyes. 'You were keen on the idea a few nights ago.'

'But I'm not now, especially as Connall would be beyond pissed.'

'Just because of Connall?' Enya said, raising a brow.

Fenrys barked out a laugh that was more animalistic than human. 'If I hadn't a firmer grasp on my sanity and memories, you'd be dead. And even if you survived, I would have probably killed the boy instead.'

'Fenrys,' she chastised. He said nothing. She blurted suddenly, 'Maeve didn't punish you for failing, did she?'

'Maeve never dares to lay a hand on me.' And for a moment, just a fleeting moment, the predator was back, its presence dark and cold. She shivered. But Fenrys shrugged, and the strange aura faded away. 'Are you going to train tonight?'

Enya sighed. 'No. Not tonight. Perhaps tomorrow.'

He nodded.

'Come and watch the sky with me.'

Fenrys obliged, and sat beside her.

She smiled at him, and Fenrys relaxed a little, as he had each time with her. He was no longer measured by power, but by heart: just a friend with a friend, watching the stars. Perhaps he didn't realise it himself.

'This isn't the Red Desert. I can't come to find you again, Enya.'

'I know. Hush. We'll talk later.'

So they sat there in silence, and watched as the midnight faded away.

~

They'd been training for over an hour now, and the sun shone directly overhead. It would be turning to winter over in Erilea - yet it was a blisteringly hot summer in Wendlyn.

Her hands were aching after working in the stables, but Rowan took no heed to her complaints, and drilled sparring manoeuvres till Celaena was sure she had no skin left on her palms.

He'd drilled her so much, yet Rowan had refused to fight her until she could shift.

So here they were, circling one another like wolves as he threw taunt after jibe at her.

She chastised herself meanwhile - she'd been reenergised in the morning, and now was panting like hell already.

'Shift,' Rowan growled for possibly the hundredth time that day.

Celaena glared back. 'I'm trying.'

Well, you're not trying enough, princess. Suddenly, the voice was not Rowan's. Fenrys sauntered into view, an infuriating smirk upon his lips. Maybe you need a bit of encouragement.