45

They entered the room silently: Enya and Sam behind Connall and Rowan with Aelin at their head.

Aelin kept her back straight; head high and eyes level, unwavering as they focused on those cherry-red lips of the dark queen.

A man with pale blonde hair and black eyes flecked with gold stood behind the chair, running his fingers gently up and down the side of her neck then shoulders idly, drawing invisible whorls and patterns across her skin. His lips parted into a lazy smirk as he saw them, eyes flicking upwards for a heartbeat to settle on hers before running his tongue over his white teeth - then those gleaming canines.

Aelin felt her stomach flutter - a feeling she'd never experienced before - something along the lines of apprehension and being let in on a. secret. It was so overwhelming she almost wanted to laugh. Instead she swallowed and pushed her lips together tightly.

A few sword-lengths behind her, the two Fae males immediately dropped to their knees, bowing so low that their foreheads brushed the floor. Maeve didn't acknowledge them. 'It would seem that you have accomplished your task, Aelin Galathynius.'

Aelin smiled at the attempted taunt, head cocking slightly, but said nothing.

'Tell me, how has your training been?'

Aelin yawned before mock-pouting. 'You know, I wouldn't have bothered to pay you a visit before my departure, aunt, but seeing as you probably would have thrown a tantrum, here I am as to not hurt your feelings.'

Maeve's eyes darkened to a violent storm.

Fenrys' little smirk became a smile. No one noticed the difference; it was too subtle, but her heart began to pound faster and full with an unknown strength.

Maeve tutted. 'Well, then. You are welcome to leave, as long as you give me a little demonstration of your power first.' Aelin swallowed, but that smile didn't leave her lips. 'As I said, your magic is of great importance. I would hope you would have mastered it by now.'

'You would hope I had mastered it so you can use me yourself.'

It was just her and Maeve, now. No one else interfered. No one dared to.

'Now why would I do that?'

'Ask the army you've prepared - ask the fleet set to sail for Adarlan waiting hidden in the ports. I'm sure they know.'

There was a pause.

Maeve tilted her head. 'I wonder... has one of my little warriors let slip a secret?' She snapped her fingers. 'Rowan, Connall.'

Almost instantly, the two males stood and walked to the centre of the room, spines stiff and straight.

'Did you perhaps accidentally reveal my plans to my lovely niece, here?'

Neither of them spoke.

Then there was a horrible thud as both their knees gave and collapsed to the ground, hitting the marble.

Enya started.

Aelin threw out a hand.

And she stopped.

'Fenrys,' Maeve purred.

The male stepped out from behind her, eyes now emotionless and unreadable. A whip made with tendrils of shadow appeared in his hands. With smooth, calculated steps, he approached his brothers, every inch the deadly predator she'd first seen.

And without hesitation he raised the whip and ripped it downwards.

It struck the marble floor between them, and neither of them could help it - Sam and Enya flinched. Aelin felt her breathing hitch.

Maeve's lips thinned, displeased. 'Fenrys,' she chastised softly, 'don't play with them.'

Fenrys lifted his head and smiled at Maeve. Aelin stared straight ahead, desperately reminding herself that this was not Fenrys, not Fenrys, not Fenrys-

A crack sounded as he flung the whip into Rowan's back.

Blood sprayed and Aelin fought the cry that threatened to slip from her lips. None of the overseers had ever been that strong. Not even the strength of ten could compare to his.

Rowan was silent, but she saw the tremors of pain that racked his body. Rivers of red ran onto the white floor.

'There we go,' Maeve said, tone smug with satisfaction. 'Until I say to stop.' Aelin wanted to throttle her.

Fenrys brought the whip up again - and it tore through Connall's back, layering the spine perfectly.

His body arched in pain, but this time it was Enya who roared in fury. 'RUTTING BITCH.'

Maeve only smirked.

Enya ran forwards - only to be choked by Fenrys who flung out his arm, gripping her by the throat.

I'm sorry, Fenrys whispered to Aelin. Just- just a little longer.

She was trying to hold on. But Rowan and Connall were shaking and Enya was choking and spitting-

Do it now, Aelin barked down the bond.

Fenrys drew his arm back.

And with all his might, he snapped it downwards.