𝔱𝔴𝔬

★𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖔; 𝖆 𝖋𝖆𝖒𝖎𝖑𝖞 𝖆𝖋𝖋𝖆𝖎𝖗★

So it was set, Brienne and Illian had agreed to leave Kattegat the following morning

So it was set, Brienne and Illian had agreed to leave Kattegat the following morning. The pair spent the majority of the day in one another's embrace, dreaming of what the god's had in store for their future. Unfortunately they had to part as the sun began to set, and promise to see each other again in their dreams. Brienne could not wipe the smile from her face as she made the journey back to the great hall, where she should accompany her family for dinner. She would admit she'd feel guilty leaving them all behind, but she spoke truly when she said she'd do anything for Illian.

Breaking through the tree line, Brienne walked through Kattegat as if nothing had happened. Her grin had disappeared into a thin line, and the girl kept her head down as she navigated her way through the sea's of people. It was admittedly a marvellous town, one that Brienne would be sad to leave behind, so as she passed through the markets and by the docks, she tried her best to take it all in, and remember her home, for soon it may only be a memory. 

The great hall came in to view, sticking out like a sore thumb in the prosperous town. Sighing heavily, Brienne readied herself to face her family and their burning questions and disapproval. Her feet began to drag heavily as she made her way into the building, feeling the warmth of the fire's as well as the burning stares, as soon as she walked through the large doors.

"Where have you been?" 

Brienne had barely taken off her cloak before her oldest brother Ubbe rose from where he was seated and made his was towards the girl. With her back still to him she rolled her eye's, before quickly turning on her feet - trying to look as innocent as possible. "I was out." She stated plainly, looking up at her brother as if for approval, letting a moment pass before walking around his large figure and taking a seat at the long table in the middle of the room. All eye's were on her and she tried her best to keep her head held high, using the anticipation for the next day as a fuel to get her through dinner. 

"You were out all day, alone?" Continued Ubbe with his interrogation taking his seat opposite his sister. He had always been the most obviously protective over Brienne - Hvitserk who sat to her right and Sigurd who was to Ubbe's left both looked out for their sister and would kill and die for her, but they certainly were not as stern as their older brother. Ivar of course was a different story entirely, he and Brienne got on the best of their siblings but he was a hard book to read, nobody really knew what he thought or felt, that boy was completely unpredictable. 

"I bet she was with that fisherman." Quipped Sigurd, chuckling slightly as he took a gulp of his mead. Sigurd loved getting his sister in trouble, in fact he enjoyed picking fights with all of his siblings, Ivar and Brienne felt most of his wrath because they were younger. The girl tried her best to send a mean glare his way but if there was anything Brienne was not, it was mean or scary. 

"As I said, I was all alone. I wanted a day to myself to relax - why is that so suspicious?" She knew she had no right to be offended given that she was lying, but she just wished her brother's would trust her a little more. Brienne tried her best to avoid their stares as she began to eat the food set in front of her, but she knew the boys and their mother all shared looks of disbelief. 

"Brienne you shouldn't be going anywhere alone, even if you were seeing this boy - it's not safe." Scolded Aslaug. It was very obvious she had a soft spot for her only daughter, but simultaneously she had extremely high hopes and expectations for the girl. 

Sigurd took this moment to once again state his opinion, no matter how controversial. "You know he is just trying to get you in bed little sister." Brienne's glare grew harsh as she stared at Sigurd, her face turning a bright shade of red. "I don't know who this man is you're talking about, but you best shut your mouth Sigurd!" In a burst of blind rage, both blonde's rose from their seats pointing at one another, shouting slurs and bickering like children. The other three Ragnarsson's watched on trying to hide their laughs under their breaths at their siblings behaviour, but Aslaug was not feeling as light hearted. 

"THAT'S ENOUGH FROM THE BOTH OF YOU, NOW SIT DOWN!" The woman exclaimed, slamming her hand down on the table startling her children and the slaves of watched on curiously. Though Brienne hung her head in shame, Sigurd crossed his arms immaturely and stropped into his seat with a huff. 

"I expect so much better from you, from all of you. Brienne, your brothers do all of this out of love to protect you, as do I." As her mother scolded her, Brienne couldn't help but crease her brows, Asluag could not seem to look her in the eyes for longer than a second... something seemed wrong. "There is no need to lie. Now as for your brothers, you shouldn't be so harsh on the poor girl, because she is just that... a girl. I'm sure you may know what it feels like to be young and in love, you're blind to what is best." Brienne grew skeptical of her mother's condescending words and wanted to object, but she knew better than to challenge such a strong woman. Brienne's love for Illian did not blind her, and she was certainly not as ignorant and naive as people seemed to believe. 

"I agree with mother." Brienne snapped her head to the end of the table, surprised to hear Ivar finally speak up. "As it appears that I am not the only cripple in this family." By the smile on his face, Brienne knew exactly where this was going and prompted to roll her eye's at her brother's silly jokes. "I cannot walk, and little Brienne cannot see." Keeping her face cemented, Brienne scooped up a chopped carrot from her stew onto her spoon, staring daggers at Ivar who smirked directly back. Surprising everyone, the young girl launched the vegetable in the direction of her brother - promptly hitting him right on the nose. She could not keep up the act anymore, biting her lip to conceal the smile that was forming

Brienne could never hate any of her brother's or her mother, no matter how much they may disagree. As the day folded into night, the siblings drunk and laughed for hours on end, forgetting their quarrels. Ubbe seemed to notice that something was plaguing his younger sister but decided not to ask after the scene that was created at dinner. Instead he urged himself to forget, to stop worrying for just one second - for if anything bad were to happen to his dearly beloved sister, it is at the will of the gods.