Chapter 1

"God! It's boiling!" My friend, Gabby says. She flutters her shirt around in the heat.

I nod agreeing, not taking my eyes from the book in my hands.

"Angie!" Gabby snatches the book from my grasp and playfully tosses it into the middle of the corridor. "There now you are faced with a decision, you either retrieve your book but risk complete physical exhaustion or you can talk to me."

What she said was kind of true. I do always have my nose in a book but I jog, sometimes.

"Fine," I lean forward take my book and place it next to me. "Whatcha want to talk about?"

Gabby sighs. "It's the first day of school Angie! I've talked all morning, I think you need to tell me what your Holidays were like."

"Um, okay." I start thinking of something to say that would entertain Gabby, the most girly person I know. "Oh, I have something."

"Well?"

"I went on a date..." I trailed off waiting for her response.

"OMG, you didn't! Who was he, can I meet him, was he hot, what did you wear? You have to tell me EVERYTHING!" She was ecstatic, seems like I would be talking about my date for the rest of the morning.

"My mum set us up. She says I need to get out more and she saw her friend and asked if I could hang out with her son. Nothing big."

"But...but, there has to be more! What was his name and are you going to see him again?"

"Jake and no, definitely not. He was one of those guys that uses every muscle in his body except for his brain." I already felt uncomfortable talking about this, it wasn't my fault that I never really was interested in dating.

That's when the bell rang.

"Fine, tell me every little detail at break, okay?" She shouted walking off.

I didn't answer but walked down the hallway. Found my locker and took out my History books. There was a lot, a binder, two note books and a text book along with my pencil case. I shut my locker and turned around, I almost made it to my first step when a sickly sweet couple knocked me over.

I fell to my knees and started to pick up my books. Everybody just walked past and ignored me. Then two feet stood in front of my view.

A guy, whom I had never seen before, kneeled down. "Are you okay? Saw the fall, looked harsh."

His deep brown eyes stared into me, he smiled and picked up my binder. We both stood up.

"Here's your binder." He handed it to me. That's when I noticed what he was wearing. Jeans and a shirt with a jacket. As well as gloves!

"Wow, you must be boiling!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah well, I just like to 'cover up'." He said dismissively.

I nodded, still confused. "I'm Angie, are you new here?"

His smiled faded and he stepped close but somehow still kept his distance. "Yes," he whispered "My name is Conner Morford, I am an agent from MI9 looking for new recruits."

He stepped back with an even bigger smile on his face and winked.

"Actually," he started. "I need to find room 17, I have History there." He held out a piece of paper with a schedule on it.

"Oh!" I was weirdly excited, I don't normally feel this around guys. "That's the class I have."

He grinned, "Alright, first hour here and I've made a friend, Yay!" He cheered over excitedly. "I'll follow you."

"It's this way." We walked down the corridor and up a flight of stairs, talking about nonsense.

"So, you read much?" I asked hopeful that he did.

"Yeah, definitely. Mostly the stuff that others haven't heard of like Flowers in the Attic." He seemed a little nervous about expressing his interest.

"I read that, great book." I said. He seemed relieved at my comment.

We arrived at Room 17. I walked in and sat at a seat in the middle. I would think that Conner would find some other place to sit with some guys but he sat next to me. He pulled out a pen and his books.

The rest of the day passed smoothly. Conner and I hung out together like we were old friends. I always thought that boys were hard to talk to and you had to work on the conversations but to Conner and myself we talked continuously about anything. I had an excuse to forget about Gabby and my guarantee to talk about Jake, I was grateful. It had to be the best day that I had had with any guy, ever.

The bell sounded for end of school and I walked to the gates with Conner. I said goodbye and walked down my street. I knew for certain that this year would be like no other.