Chapter Five

"It's easier to build strong children than to repair broken men."

-Frederick Douglass

-=--==--=---=-==-=-===-=--=-=-=---=-=-

It’s Sunday! Finally the day when the boy could get cleaned up, fed, and leaves the house. After a most needed full meal, the boy headed upstairs.

“Get in the tub, boy!” the man yelled and went to go fetch some soap.

He did as he was told, happy to finally be able to clean himself.

Soon his younger brother, Paul scampered into the small bathroom and quickly stepped into the tub.

He sat down next to the boy and hugged his own knees in fear.

“It’s okay, Paulie. Today we get to go outside,” the boy smiled and began to wash his brother’s head.

“Oh, and happy birthday Paulie. Your three now, right?” the boy asked and squirted shampoo into his hand.

Paul nodded and began to rock himself back and forth in the tub.

“Make sure to get completely clean,” the boy urged and looked at his brother’s cut and bruised chest and back with sad eyes, “You have me, Paulie.”

Soon it was time to dress in the only nice clothes the boy owned and head out for the first time in a week.

He stood there for a second, soaking in the sun as he whispered a ‘long-time no see’ to it. He contently filled his lungs with the air, the fresh air!

His bliss was interrupted by a push from behind.

“Get in the car, or you’ll get it,” his father growled in his ear.

But today nothing could get him down. Today was Sunday after all! The day to thank the lord and the day to be free.

_________________

Jacob sat up from his sleep with beads of sweat running down his face. His dreams were always vivid memories of his childhood, why?

He sighed and threw the stale blanket aside. The smell of pasta filled his nose and his stomach moaned for it.

“Pa?” a small voice came from across the room.

“Ah, Daisy, did you make dinner?” he asked and pulled on his shirt.

“It’s ready! And Steven,” she smiled and softly shoved Dominic from behind her, “will be eating with us.”

“Steven,” Jacob repeated to himself, “Nice pick!” he smiled and walked over to them. Daisy’s eyes followed Jacob with pure admiration. Oh, how she wished Pa would look at her like he was at Dominic at that very moment.

Dominic shook in fear as he came closer. He tried to run, but Daisy’s tight grip kept him in one place.

“Let’s go eat,” Jacob leaned down, eye-level to Dominic and smiled warmly.

_______________________

“What happened to Jeramiah Barrett’s father? I can’t find a file on him…?” Detective Robins inquired as the morning sun shone through the walled windows.

“Ah…” Linda’s voice shook and her fingers raced over the keyboard, “He… is alive.”

“Really? That’s not following the pattern. Where was he?”

Linda bit her lip. “He reported that he had a business trip. He left last minute.”

“There we go,” Robins grabbed the nearby telephone, “We need to talk to him.”