Prologue

I never wanted to get married or have a family before I met Alyssa. I was the type of guy to scan every party for a pretty girl to take back to my apartment. Other than that I made my way slowly through college and played a little too much video games. My day would start past noon and wouldn’t end until past midnight.

Then when I met her I knew that it would all change. For her I was willing to settle down and kick my bad habits. Actually, more than willing; I desperately wanted to. She was the light in my confusing dark world.

It was almost obsessive how much she was on mind; every waking moment. My dreams were all of her.

After two years of being committed, I proposed. I kneeled and handed her most pristine ring for my soul mate.

My life was all set. My mother and father were ecstatic with my choice in a wife. Life was blissful; perfect even. We bought a small townhouse out looking a lake in West Virginia.

Once she gave the news that we were expecting I had mixed emotions. Will I ever be able to love a human being as much as Alyssa?

I was conflicted and scared. But Alyssa was sure of me, sure that I would make a wonderful father.

And then our son, Dominic was born. The moment I held him, I knew that I would cherish him forever.

Living every day to its fullest, we grew older in out perfect little house. The days flew by and already Dominic was walking; forming words, and telling us he loves us.

My worst fear wasn’t of spiders or zombie apocalypse anymore; it was of losing them. But every time I had that nightmare I would wake up into my safe bed, next to my gorgeous wife, my beautiful son in the other room, and our wet-nosed family dog.

I was the happiest man alive. My life was like in the movies; what people dream of. Absolutely flawless.

I shouldn’t have been that naïve.