Survival

~~~Chapter 2~~~

Getting back up to the house was the easy part, finding a way around all the other animals was the difficult part. I’ve heard the humans talk about the animals down here; there are coyotes and deer and other wild animals. I feared the coyotes the most. Who knows what they could do to me. Yes I can roll up into a ball, but would that protect me from them? I’ve only ever rolled up into a ball with dogs, cats and humans but they never tried to attack me.

I am covered in mud and a sudden thirst dried out my mouth. The only water source was the stream, most humans wouldn’t drink it, they would think it was polluted; a dog would drink it right away. This is the only way the dryness would go away though so I decided to risk it. The taste of the cool water was so real, so moist, so blah, blah, BLAH. I had swallowed a small bug. Normally bugs taste great but this one was DISGUSTING. Oh no, was this a poisoness bug or a bug that would eat me from the inside out, or was it a harmless bug who was already dead inside my stomach. Let’s hope for the last option, while thinking about this I found myself still drinking and trying not to swallow more yucky water bugs.

Drinking so much water showed me that I was hungry, actually starving. I hadn’t eaten since the night before and normally I would be eating from my little dish. My owner would feed me eggs or chicken or hedgehog food or maybe bacon. I love bacon, it’s my favorite food. The flavour of it is so amazing, well to me. My owner doesn’t find it to tasty which is good for me because she gives me any bacon that is given to her.

I don’t think I will be finding any bacon just lying around down here though. I had to actually forge for my food. No grass was in sight otherwise I would just snack of that. All that lay in front of me was dirt, water and leaves. I had never actually tried a leaf and I hadn’t planned to, but this was important and even if it was gross it would have to of tasted better than the water bug.

The taste was ok but dry, really dry, I needed more water. Well there had to be some other source of food, I remembered about the mushrooms growing from the log I had hit earlier and debated on trying some. I had never really liked my veggies and I usually just left them in the dish and starved myself for the night. Starving myself seemed like the only thing that was going to happen tonight, and I decided to check out the log for a shelter.

It may not seem like it but at night the outdoors is freezing, I miss my heat lamp, I miss my blankets, I miss my home. Why had I wondered so far, why did gravity pull me down that hill, why hadn’t my owner found me yet.

Then I could hear the sound of something walking through the bush. ‘Snap’ they had stepped on a twig. This was it I was going home, my owner had found me and we were going back up to the house.

But then my entire thought was flipped upside down as I heard a growl, a growl that came from the mouth of a wild animal.